PDA

View Full Version : Western Thornbill

Dean Ingwersen
09-04-2008, 10:14 PM
Hi all,

So I've recently been to sth-west WA to see and photograph the endemic species of that part of Australia, and here is my first post of one of those endemics. Photograph captured at Dryandra State Forest, about 2 hours south-east of Perth.

As well as specs below, I selected the upper left corner and lower right corner and darkened them a little - as captured they were a bit distracting.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Dean

Canon 20D, 500mm L IS with 1.4x TC, ISO 200, 1/200, AV @ 0
PS CS2 - sh-h, levels, curves, sat, slight usm

Vincent Grafhorst
09-04-2008, 11:58 PM
A nice image of what looks like a very small bird Dean. My only nit is the centred comp. Maybe cropping from the bottom and the right will make for a stronger comp.

Tony Whitehead
09-05-2008, 12:48 AM
I like this Dean. The centered composition doesn't bother me and I like how the colours of the bird and background match. The eye is intense. Light looks low and warm - the thing that bothers me is the strong blue colour cast on the perch and backlighting the bird - what caused this? - did you use flash and have a cold blue sky behind the bird? I would be inclined to desaturate the blue in those areas.

Dean Ingwersen
09-05-2008, 12:50 AM
Hi Vincent,

Yeah they're tiny...10cm from bill tip to tail tip. Attached repost with your crop suggestion...I thought I'd done okay but you might be on to something here. Thanks!

Cheers, Dean

Dean Ingwersen
09-05-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks Tony. I honestly have no idea what's given that colour cast, I didn't use flash, I was in the middle of woodland,and the background is either the ground or some distant tree trunks/foliage. Perplexing! I'll have a crack at your suggestion.

P.S. Your photos from your trip to Aust are awesome...love that Little Kingfisher too (especially as I dipped on the **** things last year!)

Dean Ingwersen
09-05-2008, 12:59 AM
That certainly made a difference...thanks Tony! :)

Juan Aragonés
09-05-2008, 01:13 AM
Very nice bird. I like a lot the soft BG and the composition of the repost looks much better compared to the original postm very centered in my opinion. Great eye contact and pose. Thanks for sharing

Tony Whitehead
09-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks Tony. I honestly have no idea what's given that colour cast, I didn't use flash, I was in the middle of woodland,and the background is either the ground or some distant tree trunks/foliage. Perplexing! I'll have a crack at your suggestion.

P.S. Your photos from your trip to Aust are awesome...love that Little Kingfisher too (especially as I dipped on the **** things last year!)
Repost looks a lot better Dean. Thanks for your kind comments - the success of my trip was in a big part due to your good advice - Thanks

Simon Bennett
09-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Very nice capture of a very small bird.

Linda Robbins
09-05-2008, 05:55 AM
The last repost looks great. A lovely little bird that I am sure is a speedster. Very nice pose. Well done!

Ramon M. Casares
09-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Pose, BG, head turn, light, BG, and sharpness are excellent, repost looks much much better! Congratulations!

Arsdel Fluesmeier
09-05-2008, 05:47 PM
This is very nice. I like the sharp, intense eye.

Dean Ingwersen
09-07-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks to all for the comments...much appreciated. And happy to help out Tony.

Cheers, Dean