PDA

View Full Version : Long-billed dowitcher

allanrube
09-04-2008, 02:16 PM
I posted an image of a short-billed dowitcher a few moments ago here (http://birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?p=137820#post137820).

Now, I have seen many short-billed dowitchers but never (as far as I know) a long-billed dowitcher. How would I know if I saw one? Can someone post an image - I am more concerned with an image which will show the id - I don't care if the bg is messy, it is tilted, or whatever. :o

Thanks.

allanrube
09-05-2008, 09:12 PM
So far 39 people have viewed but no answer. I have looked at all my books, read the words and studied the illustrations. It seems the best way to tell the difference is by listening - they make different noises. Also, and this would lead me to believe I shot a short-billed, is that long-billed d make noise as they eat while short-billed d eat silently.

Wayne Richardson
09-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Hi Allan

See my comments on Raul's thread.

The ease of which LBD can be ID'd depends on age & plumage stage; with juveniles 1st, then summer/alternate adults & lastly winter/basic adults in increasing order of difficulty.

LBD are usually larger, plumper, taller with longer & thinner bills with a subtle kink around middle. Bill length & thickness is not diagnostic, given there is much overlap between species. However, particularly short-billed male SBD & very long-billed female LBD can be fairly straight-forward.

There is a misconception about width of tail barring. While white stripes equal or broader than dark stripes eliminates LBD, the reverse does not eliminate SBD. As SBD has 3 races there is far more variation & the prairie race (hendersoni) is quite 'LBD like' in breeding plumage.

Calls still remain the best way of separating these species.;)

Cheers: Wayne

allanrube
09-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks for that information Dave.