PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat in winter scene

D. Robert Franz
01-13-2008, 11:07 AM
We found this bobcat on a winter Yellowstone IPT a couple of years ago feeding on a freshly killed canada goose. At first the bobcat was fairly close and then moved off a ways to feed. Here I took off my converters and tried to show the bobcat in the landscape.

Canon 1D2, EF600mmF4IS, ISO640, 1/500 @ F11, evaluative metering +1

Steve Foss
01-13-2008, 01:07 PM
I like it, Robert. The cat is large enough in the frame so it's clearly the subject, but the lines of wood (and the shadows they create) on the snow add some visual interest. The snow has a blue cast on my monitor. Of course, how to render snow is almost metaphysical. I tend to remove cyan and blue saturation unless I'm purposely working for the blue/violet shaded look, but it's a personal decision, for sure, and I don't mean to imply there's a right or wrong.

Judd Patterson
01-13-2008, 07:00 PM
I really like this one. The position of the bobcat and then his backward glance really cement a solid composition.Its great that you made the decision to go wider on this image so that you could show a bit of the stark, winter surroundings in which the cat lives. You might consider altering your white point to whiten the snow a little bit...just seems a bit dark to me.

John Cooper
01-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Yes I agree that this image works very well. Normally I like to see main subject a bit larger in the frame but the diagonal fall of the tree branches at the back just makes this image work - well seen!!

DanWalters
01-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Very nice. Really like that you included the landscape.

Jasper Doest
01-14-2008, 06:25 AM
I love this kind of photography....very nicely done! The branches are a bit dominant in frame IMO, but they also add to the scene. I agree that the snow can be just a bit whiter, but the slight bluecast works well here as it adds to the cold atmosphere.

Chris van Rooyen
01-14-2008, 03:32 PM
Extremely effective, love the diagonal compositional lines of the slope balanced by the horizontal line of the foreground. The posture of the cat is also great as it is looking back into the space, beautifully rounding off the scene. Wonderful!