PDA

View Full Version : Cascade Falls At Watkins Glen New york

Ed Cordes
09-03-2008, 09:12 PM
The falls of Watkins Glen Gorge are difficult to photograph as the light is always contrasty and never "quite right". I made this image a few weeks ago at about noon to try to get the most light shining into the falls. I like the image as is shows the dramatic nature of the area.

The image is cropped a bit for straightening. 1DMK2 with 17-40 @ 30mm. Evaluative metering at ISO 400 @ EV - 1/3 with f 16 and 1.6 seconds on tripod, mirror lock up and cable release. Selective dodging on the right and selective burning on the right.

Thanks for looking and all comments are most welcome.

Johannes Glännman
09-04-2008, 02:51 AM
Hi...

Very nice waterfall you found. I like the very rough enviroment around the fall in contrast to the very smooth and fine water... You did a good work on exposure also that I think can be quite hard here...

I do not like the rail or whatever it is behind the fall but it must be hard not to get in picture...

Cheers // johannes

Robert Amoruso
09-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Light-wise this is not too bad Ed. I recommend a curves adjustment with a revere s-curve. That will open up the shadows and tone down the highlights.

Vertical definitely the right composition here. The shutter speed was just right for the water blur affect. I have not been here but was it possible to move right? That would have gotten the bottom of the falls out in the open.

Lots of nice detail in the well-worn walls of the rock. Nice work.

Bruce Murden
09-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Lovely falls. Every shot from this park reminds me that it's on my list to visit.

Robert, as usual, covered the comments. Good job on a tough lighting location!

Kaushik Balakumar
09-04-2008, 07:24 PM
Beautiful image. Just the apt shutter speed chosen to show the right amount motion in water. Liked the way u've composed this frame. Moving right & shooting the same might include the left wall a bit more - hence making it too dominant (not so favourable IMHO). Ofcourse, it would have shown more of the water falls below but I guess I liked the current composition.
(Just a personal taste) :)

Ed Cordes
09-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Robert, I will try the curves suggestion this weekend. For the record, moving right was not an option. I was already leaning over the ledge as it was with my tripod cantilevered out.

Roman Kurywczak
09-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi Ed,
I too like the contrast of the softness of the water against the harshness of the rock wall. Considering the light........you handled it very well. I wonder if a bright overcast day would be better lightwise. Since you couldn't move right......maybe composing wider (17-20mm range) and going for a vert pano crop...... to include more of the water base........ could offer many more comp possibilities. Not sure there weren't distractions there either though. Overall nicely handled.