PDA

View Full Version : Juxtaposition of Life and Death

Ed Vatza
09-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Another throwdown concept that I rejected as not quite up to snuff. I saw this series of images as a juxtaposition of life represented by the water droplet and death of the mayfly caught up in the spider's web. I was particularly moved by the way the mayfly appears to be clutching the droplet as well as the earth-like appearance of the droplet.

Conditions: overcast, wet after a nighttime rain and breezy.

Image made with my Canon Rebel XT; Sigma 150mm Macro lens with Sigma 1.4x TC and Kenko 20mm extension tube; and all tripod-mounted with a Novoflex Focusing Rail.

1/15 sec @ f/11; ISO 800; -2/3 EV; Focal length 210mm; Natural diffused light

As a postscript I will add that this exercise was an eye opener as I spent the weekend first looking at flowers in a very different way before moving on to other subjects like this before culminating in the Lilliputian Landscapes represented in the throwdown.

Amy DeStefanis
09-03-2008, 09:10 PM
Ed, Ed, Ed!

This maybe coulda done it! My eye goes right where, I think, is intended - to the "globe", and I can see the connection.... It's a little difficult to see the web, though - so I can see why you might have chosen not to use it. (head angle of the mayfly?)

I like this better than the miniature landscape because my eye does have a target to land on.

Cool image.

Amy D.

Mike Moats
09-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Hey Ed, interesting image as it apeares to be captured floating in air. Good sharp image.

Anita Rakestraw
09-04-2008, 03:39 PM
OK, I can see that it might not be quite up to snuff, but it is an amazing image especially with your description of what you were thinking, and I agree that it has emotional impact.... I wish the web were more visible.

Julie Kenward
09-05-2008, 03:04 PM
I think you woulda kicked my girlie butt with this one, Ed. It's fascinating to look at. Love the light/dark BG and the reflection is superb!!! You sure you didn't throw the throwdown??? :cool::D

Ed Vatza
09-06-2008, 05:30 AM
I appreciate the feedback, folks. I must say that the throwdown challenge did open up my eyes to some new subject materials.

And no Jules, I did not "throw" the throwdown. I truly believe that the "Lilliputian Landscapes" represented the best of the concepts and was definitely the most "out of the box" for the macro/flora forum. I went quite a ways back in the forum archives and saw nothing like it posted. I may post another landscape later.