PDA

View Full Version : BCNH, my first post in Avian

Jim Leigh
09-03-2008, 10:09 AM
Canon 1DIII,
Canon 500mm @f4
Because of all the exceptional work that exists posting one’s first shot in BPN’s Avian forum can be a bit intimidating
My first post, a Black Crowned Night Heron that I was fortunate enough to catch as he was leaving.
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated’
Thanks for looking

Daniel Cadieux
09-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Hi Jim, welcome to the BPN Avian forum!

As is the bird is rather small in the frame, and it is flying in the wrong direction ;-) A good crop from the top would help the composition, but with the rear-view of the heron not much else can be done I'm afraid. Were you able to photograph it before it flew away? As a general rule having the face completely hidden is not ideal.

From the photo it looks like you have a good spot to go to. I'm sure you will have some more great opportunities. If you feel intimidated you are encouraged to post in the "Eager to Learn" forum where you will get all the friendly help and pointers to get your photography and confidence on the way up :-) Looking forward to more!!

Arthur Morris
09-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Jim. Welcome, and a big time thanks for your membership support. Images of birds flying away from your postion can work well, especially as stock; such image usually feature birds that are larger in the frame and that would have helped here. The wing position in your image is nice, but if the wings had been fully extended it would likely have been a stronger image. I like the tree stumps on the bottom right as compositional anchors but you needed to give the one on the frame edge some more room. Cropping some off the top would help, as would eliminating the o-o-f branches in the upper right corner (urc).

ps: to Daniel. I did move this image to Eager to Learn where Jim can get additional help. Thanks for your comments. I will be out of touch for a week doing bears at Katmai so do keep up your great work. Axel too, and thanks to all!