PDA

View Full Version : Ethics and Nature Photography

Lance Peters
09-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Hi - I attended a Nature photography seminar here in Australia last night held by a well known Australian Nature Photographer.

Have to say I was a little suprised at these snippets that were offered...

1. Often will remove creatures/animals from the habitat (some come from zoo's) and relocate them to the studio - try and recreate a thier native habitat - with lights set up were they needto be to get correct lighting. Take the photo's and then when finished return them to their habitat.

2. No mention of this made in the books/magazines that feature the photo's / stories.

3.illegally transported two PEST animals across state lines - so that they could be photographed IN-STUDIO. Of course when they had the photo's the animals had to be destroyed.

What are your thoughts on these practices??? As I said well know and published Australian Wildlife Photographer.

Didn't sit really well with me and I certainly won't be purchasing any of this photographers works.

:)

David Lowell
09-02-2008, 11:21 PM
What ethics. Just a person out to make cash!

James Shadle
09-02-2008, 11:31 PM
Bottom line, if you love your subject more than your photography, you will never have a problem with ethics.

It sounds to me like the fellow you mentioned loves fame and fortune much more than his subjects.

Capt. James

Doug West
09-03-2008, 12:22 AM
I wonder how he'd feel if I wanted to photograph his wife, walk into his house, snatch her and
take her to a studio to photograph her?

Then again, knowing this guy, he probably wouldn't have a problem with it.

Doug

Beth Goffe
09-03-2008, 11:18 AM
That's fairly disturbing, particularly the pest animal instance; he's basically murdering something after they have served his purposes. Did anyone object to these practices?

Noel Carboni
09-03-2008, 11:53 AM
Truly a person more in love with money than this Earth. He will get what he's due in the end.

Images of animals truly in the wild look better than any studio shots anyway.

-Noel

frank harrison
09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Hello Lance
I don't usually delve into these kinds of conversations but:-

Oh I first have to assert, for the benefit of our overseas mates, that the "Well known & published wildlife photographer" was not me.

Not sure who it is Lance but I think I have a fair idea. Alas this sort of unsavoury practice goes on more than is realised & it is sad that individuals are seduced by the dark side of the force. For this high profile snapper & "role model" to do so & blythely state his M.O. overtly, is disappointing to say the least.

You are not a po faced wowser to bring this up & I whole heartedly concur with your comments & those of our kindred spirits here.

Keep safe my friend,
Regards
Frank
ps My apologies for any spelling errors chums but I've been up all night & it is 05.30 hrs.

Harold Davis
09-03-2008, 03:44 PM
that's the craziest thing i ever heard!! so sad!! i think if you were to get caught doing something like that here, you lose everything you own!!

and for the guy to talk about it. wow. just so unfortunate.

Lance Peters
09-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi guys - Who said it was a Guy!

Amy DeStefanis
09-03-2008, 06:50 PM
Wow. It's interesting how people get so used to doing these things that they don't realize that they are divulging something shocking as if "everyone does it". I hope that wasn't what the other attendees at the seminar took away from it.... I just can't imagine.

Amy D.

JP Bruce
09-03-2008, 10:02 PM
How are we as the general public to know about this? I remember when it was found out Disney recreated some of the scenes in their "nature" movies. Are the game farms where the animals are brought out to be photographed in the wild much better than this person? What's sad is now people think most nature shots have been setup in some way. What can we do about any of this other than function within our own ethical standards?

Lance Peters
09-04-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Peter -- I may just do that - I will put it together into a more readable format send it in.

I will work on it and think I will post it in the writing forum once it's done to ge some feedback before sending it in.

:)

Johannes Glännman
09-05-2008, 02:24 AM
I think it is sad. I agree with the rest of you that the guy must only love to be famous and his money.. Where did the passion go ? The passion that makes a naturephotographer crawl in mud for 2 km to sneak up on a shy animal, or stand in heavy rain just to get that bird on picture.... Freezing the fingertops while trying to press the shutterbutton and so on....

Cheers // Johannes

Sabyasachi Patra
09-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Unfortunate. However, I find lot of people have no respect for wildlife. They can do anything.....break the branches to expose the nest to get the correct angle, feed birds with bird feed laced with drugs......when the animal has gone hunting or in search of food...taken the pups from den to a lighted area and shoot etc etc....

Recently, near Bangalore in India, few photographers went too close to the Vultures nest (they are now dying) to photograph the nesting birds...The list is endless.....

Ed Cordes
09-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Disgusting behavior. I believe that as nature photographers we have an obligation to teach the public about the flora, fauna and landscapes we photograph. A large part of the teaching should be how precious these things are and how to respect and preserve them.