Canon IDmk3
Canon 300mm F/4 @ 5.6
Iso 200
1/3200
Manual
Handheld

Doug Brown
09-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Welcome Jason! You got terrific sharpness with this image. I like the topside view also. I'd like to see a bit more eye comtact. I would move the bird to the left in the frame. The BG is a little distracting, and the near wing gets lost in the dark area at the bottom. I would try to even out the BG in PS. Thanks for posting!

Tony Whitehead
09-03-2008, 03:43 AM
Welcome Jason. These are lovely birds and you have protected the whites well in the harsh light and this has kept nice saturation in the head and eye. Doug has mentioned some good points - the dark BG is the main issue for me and the image looks oversharpened. I have tried a rather drastic shadow/hight adjustment to try and show the bird a bit better. Theses work beautifully against a blue sky or sea BG. This looks like it could be at Muriwai.

Jason Searle
09-03-2008, 03:53 AM
Thanks Tony and Doug for your comments re the BG :)

Tony yes this was taken at Muriwai, lower platform

Markus Jais
09-03-2008, 06:32 AM
great sharpness and I like the background showing some habitat. I think it would be even better if the bird was a little further to the left.

Markus

Raymond Barlow
09-03-2008, 06:07 PM
that is a beautiful shot Jason, a bit more room on the right, and tone down the contrast/sharping a bit would be my suggestion., looks like f4 might have helped the image also.

amazing bird.