PDA

View Full Version : Spotted Potted Geraniums

Julie Kenward
09-02-2008, 08:21 PM
I swear, sometimes I think coming up with the names of the images is as much fun as taking them! :D

This is one of the geranium plants on my back deck. All of a sudden it started exhibiting white splotches and I'm not entirely sure why. It's been pretty dry here so I'm guessing sun exposure more than mold or spores.

Anyway, I thought it added to the unique look of the red plant so I played with it for awhile. I almost used this as my "throwdown" image but decided to keep this and play around with it a bit more.

Does anyone think I toned down the reds too much?

Canon 40D, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM
f5 @ 1/200th, ISO 200
late afternoon light, handheld, AWB
Center weighted metering, Manual mode

Processed in camera raw with CS3. Did levels, curves adjustment and toned down the reds. Small crop.

Mike Moats
09-03-2008, 04:40 AM
Hey Jules, I like the comp and BG, I think the reds look fine, not sure I care for the look of the flowers with blotches.

Robert O'Toole
09-03-2008, 06:09 PM
I think someone was munching on your Geraniums Julie :)

Reds look okay to me. Better understated then over saturation.

Robert

Ed Vatza
09-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm with Mike on this one. I think the background looks great and the comp is fine but I don't really like the splotches. Still a good effort to make lemonade from lemons here, Jules. :)

Anita Rakestraw
09-04-2008, 04:02 PM
Those splotches are rather eye-catching, aren't they?! I'm wondering what an extreme close-up would look like - of just one flower or even just one leaf wtih its 'spots>'