PDA

View Full Version : Stop Action Hummingbird

david cramer
09-02-2008, 06:55 PM
My last hummingbird post had some motion blur. I've practiced getting the stop-action wing by lowering the flash power, as recommended by Art. It works. This is with a four-flash setup. The birds will be leaving my area soon, but before they return next year, I think I'll get a couple more flashes to fill out the bird. I particularly would like one for the top of the bird. On some images, I actually prefer the motion blur as it gives the impression of movement.

My setup has used a Juniper tree as a background, which is sometimes problematic. With sunlight going in and out, and the wind blowing the limbs around, the background couldn't be well controlled. I'll probably work in a steady, or fake background for next year.

Shot data: Nikon D300, 400 2.8+1.7tc, 1/320 @ f/16, iso 250 using on board flash as commander for four flashes. Two front flashes set to lowest setting, two back flashes set to 1/8 setting.

http://davidwcramer.smugmug.com/photos/363166341_WzDV7-O.jpg

Steve Canuel
09-02-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi David,
Nice detail on this one (especially that outstretched wing). BG looks OK to me but I have a personal preference towards BG like this that have a little contrast/detail. I don't use flash so I don't know, but is there a way to "warm" the light up a bit? This one doesn't look overflashed to me but the quality of light looks a little "clinical/cool" (for lack of a better word) to me.
Steve

Maxis Gamez
09-02-2008, 07:12 PM
HI David,

Lovely capture. Looks a little hot for my taste but very nice indeed!

Ramon M. Casares
09-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Grreat details and great work, I like the light and BG, I would just try to give the flowers a bit more saturation. Congratulations!

Linda Robbins
09-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Hi David -

If you would post the particulars of your remote flash settings and camera settings it would be helpful. The bird appears a bit overflashed to me. The bird's flight pose is really nice and the bg looks ok. although I think you will like the results you can get using artificial bg's that are lit properly.

Doug Brown
09-03-2008, 06:36 AM
I like it much better than your last one David! I agree with Linda that it looks a little overflashed, and perhaps a little oversharpened. I like the way you are refining your technique with each post!