PDA

View Full Version : The Breakaways

John Cooper
01-13-2008, 04:07 AM
The Breakaways are situated in central Australia (The red center). This image was captured very late in the evening with the setting sun just sitting on the horizon. As the image was recorded on film I had the luxury of checking the colours in the digital scan with the original transparency.
Canon EOS 5, Canon 20-35mm lens, Fuji Velvia 50, Tripod. (probably a polarizer was used). Film scanned with Nixon LS-50 (coolscan V) @4000DPI

Gerald Kelberg
01-13-2008, 06:25 AM
Hi John,

First impression is "Wow! What a place!"

Yet, there is something about the composition that draws my eye always out to the flat plains behind the mountains, whereas the real excitement is the light and shape on the mountains to the left. Makes me think of some of my own images where I haven't been sure of which element I wanted to make as the main story. I'll be interested to see whether or not our gurus will suggest taking the shot from a lower perspective to bring some of the trees into the gap.

Nice image! Lucky you!

Gerald

Rich Ikerd
01-13-2008, 12:43 PM
Beautiful colors and gorgeous setting John (have to get of Oz one of these days!). While I'm not landscape guru, placing the trees a little higher in the frame definitely would provide a better focal point for the image (might not have been possible) and eliminate the emptiness that tends to draw your eye away from the main subjects.

Robert Amoruso
01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Too me you have two subjects here. The FG ridge with the trees and the BG peaks to the left. The far off BG plain is a minor player. I like the composition here. It is hard in many situations like this for a viewer to say walking this way or that would improve an image. I find with landscapes that many times I walk this way or that and it gets worse.

Here I like the trees on the FG ridge as this point to the BG peaks. When I view the image the FG ridge captures my eye, the trees next and then I am lead by the trees to the peaks. John did a good with the composition here.