PDA

View Full Version : ID Help

Paul Lagasi
09-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Hi All
Just got back from 9,000 mi. trip across USA and back through Canada...lots of great places and birds..33 life birds and many photos...I need some help with this bird...I think it might be a Spragues Pipit but not sure, ...photographed in midwest, Nebraska/Wyoming border. Thanks for help

John Chardine
09-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Paul- I've had a look at Sibley and I think you are correct about the pipit at least. There are two regular species in NA, Sprague's is one and American is the other. American is much more widespread and this one looks like it has a long tail which suggests American. Both would be found on migration in the area where you saw the bird. Because this bird does not look "stocky and short tailed" as Sibley puts it, I would vote for American Pipit.

Maybe others can chime in.

Paul Lagasi
09-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Thank You, John

Wayne Richardson
09-06-2008, 12:15 PM
Hi Paul

I'm afraid I have to disagree with John's assessment, as this doesn't look like a pipit to me. At 1st viewing It thought it was a lark, both in jizz & posture. The bill appears too heavy for American Pipit & wrong colour for Sprague's. Primaries are too long for Speague as well. The yellowish gape indicates a youngster, which should help with the ID process.

I'll need to get back to this after some more research.

Cheers: Wayne

PS: It trhere some damage to the wing, particularly the pinkish area around the shoulder?

John Chardine
09-06-2008, 12:54 PM
Could be a juv. Horned Lark Wayne. Nice suggestion. Bill looks too long though (short, stout- Sibley). Speckling about head, neck and back is lacking here too. Sibley does show the dark line on the shoulder, which this bird has. Getting warmer?!

David Tyrer
09-06-2008, 03:48 PM
Paul: I have to agree with John that this is a juvenile Horned Lark. The posture, the bill, the breast streaking, the scapular colouration, the primary extension and tail length indicate Lark. The gape indicates juvenile. The bird appears to be stressed about something.

Paul Lagasi
09-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks all...not sure I can go with a Horned Lark, although I will keep checking..none of my books show this coloration, but you've been right many times before Dave, so I am not going to argue..lolol..there was a harrier flying around, thats why this bird stayed in one place..if I was a small bird, I'd be stressed also, he didn't move off this rock...was about 105F this day also, could have been in distress because of heat....Paul

David Tyrer
09-08-2008, 05:28 PM
Paul: I could just as easily be wrong as well, however, the Western subspecies of the Horned Lark is quite different from the one see here in the East. Check your Western Field Guides.