PDA

View Full Version : White Pelican

Raul Quinones
09-01-2008, 07:03 PM
White pelican in flight, taken at a private farm, South Florida.

Canon EOS 40D, Lens EF500mm f/4L IS USM +1.4x
Shooting Date/Time 8/30/2008 08:22:40
1/1600Sec., F8.0, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400, 700.0 mm

After a couple months of not shooting, I finally pickup the gear and had a lot of fun... something that I was missing. Couple months ago I was shooting with the only goal of improving, getting better pictures, and putting a lot of pressure on myself... I forgot that I shoot to have fun and to have the opportunity to enjoy outdoors and observe birds.
I am back definetly trying to improve, but recognizing there is a learning curves, and probably a huge one, since I have limited time to shoot, few hours on the weekends with good weather.

Daniel Cadieux
09-01-2008, 07:09 PM
Nice gliding pose you got here Raul. A pano version by cropping off a good chunk off the bottom would work well. I find it unfortunate how the line of vegetation cuts right behind the head. Gald you are having fun and enjoying the outdoors :-)

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-01-2008, 08:12 PM
Very pretty capture Raul and lovely lighting. I like the flight pose and the good exposure. I agree that a pano could work quite well here. Many thanks for sharing and glad to hear that you are having fun and enjoyning the outdoors.

Ed Cordes
09-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Having fun - isn't that's what it's all about?? Nice sharp image with good light. I like the eye contact. Pano would be a bit better and you can't do much about the shore line except to darken it a lot to minimize its effect.

Juan Aragonés
09-02-2008, 03:34 AM
Not the better wing position but very nice light and eye contact. Good isolation from the background. I think that a panoramic crop will work finely here. I am not a profesional photographer and having fun is the most important thing from my point of view :)

Doug Brown
09-02-2008, 03:50 PM
Glad to hear you've rediscovered photography Raul! It's a nice welcome back image. I agree with Daniel's points. Thanks for posting!

Maxis Gamez
09-02-2008, 06:22 PM
Lovely light but I wish for more separation from the line in the BG and a little more sharpening!