PDA

View Full Version : Venice Mallow (Flower of the Hour)

Bruce Murden
09-01-2008, 04:32 PM
This is a fascinating little wildflower (or, according to my wife, a weed, since it's growing in our flower beds and she hasn't seen it bloom). Tough subject to catch, because the flowers are open a short time. I wanted to show the bloom and the bud, so it may be more documentary than I usually like, but just a cool little flower I had never noticed before this year.

Nikon D70, Nikon 105 macro, f/8, 1/200 s, polarizer, tripod, diffuser to provide shade, kneeling pad to save the joints!

Julie Kenward
09-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Very nice, Bruce! I've never seen this flower before but will have to start looking for it! You have a really nice composition going here and I love that you got both the flower in bloom and the bud - and that they are separated but still part of the same plant. (Nice bonus!) I would tone down the one spot that's a little lighter green just to the right of the flower as it does tend to pull my eye away; otherwise...really lovely detail on this!

Ed Vatza
09-01-2008, 07:49 PM
Hi Bruce,

After looking at your image, I read Julie's comment and I was going to say pretty much the same thing. I think the image is excellent except for that "whitish smudge" to the right of the flower. It does pull my eye from the beauty of the flower. Otherwise, excellent image.

Aristotle Georgiou
09-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Excellent image Bruce, great composition, wonderful light, very nice detail and over all a pleasing image to look at.

Amy DeStefanis
09-02-2008, 03:54 PM
The bud looks like the plant in Little Shop of Horror. Feeed me Seymour! I really like seeing that contrast between the interesting, but ultimately - ugly - bud (sorry), and the beautiful flower that it conceals. They both have a lot of visual interest, and seem to tell a story.

The only thing about the bright patch to the right that really bothers me is that there seems to be a straight edge on it. If it were simply a shapeless form blended into the rest of the background, I'm not sure I would even notice, but I think my eye is picking up the geometry in it.

Plant a whole bed of these, and then you'll have to weed out those pesky day lilies! :)

Amy D.

Gus Cobos
09-02-2008, 05:44 PM
Hi Bruce,Very well done,
I like the composition, image and exposure. The dark green background makes your subject stand out. I like it as presented...good show...:cool:

Mike Moats
09-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey Bruce, nice image with good details on the flower and a good looking BG other than the already mentions bloch on the right side. Simple fix.