PDA

View Full Version : Brazos Bend Dawn

Paul Wolf
09-01-2008, 04:21 PM
Dawn at Brazos Bend State Park near Houston, Texas. I love shooting through a mist into the rising sun. The effect is unlike any other kind of light. This is the northwest corner of Elm Lake. Those are Black-Bellied Whistling Ducks perched in the tree.

Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 17-40mm @ 40mm, f/14, 1/200 sec., ISO 200.

Kaushik Balakumar
09-02-2008, 03:06 AM
Lovely image Paul. Like the colours here a lot adding to that misty feel. Wish the dominant dark tree towards the right was better isolated from the BG (as of now we see another tree behind it). As it is, the curving branches on top of this tree is beautiful; better isolation from BG wud've added a lot to it IMHO.

Valerio Tarone
09-02-2008, 02:38 PM
like the sense of image.The dark tree commnicates a sense of fear. Beatiful the general light.

Roman Kurywczak
09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Hi Paul,
The light is fantastic. I do agree with Kaushik about including more of the tree on the rigt instead of the left side......it's more interesting............and i would probably add a bit of FG as the branches entering the frame that are cut........should either be totally in or totally out...........may not have been possible though.............so I may go for a crop to get rid of them altogether as presented.

Robert Amoruso
09-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Hi Paul,

Good light and nice composition make this a pleasing image. The mist adds depth as the FG is clear and the BG - well misty.

Moving left here could have yield a better BG for the main tree. Of course the FG changes and that might not be for the better. I like the diagonal "V" look of the water and reflection - the diagonal leads the eye into the image.

In situations like this, move around even after making an image like this. Examine it on the LCD and ask yourself what you like about it and go about accentuating that feature. As mentioned, the tree the ducks are on is the strongest feature in the image and your center of interest. What about tighter on it, perhaps a vertical, or placing it in a RoT placement as you did here.

Paul Wolf
09-03-2008, 07:01 AM
Great suggestions and comments from everyone! I really do appreciate it. I will experiment with cropping and the like to see if I can improve this. I do have several other shots from different angles, so I'll review those. Thank you, all!

Paul

Paul Pagano
09-07-2008, 08:01 AM
This is a great scene....crazy color...don't believe I've seen anything like it. Ducks in the trees are a big plus.