PDA

View Full Version : Mackinaw Bridge Postcard

Bruce Murden
09-01-2008, 04:11 PM
A little breezy that day, combined with a lens that I'm not so fond of anymore - always too soft. I'll have to try this one again!

Nikon D70, Tamron 70-300 @ 220mm, f/5, 1/200, polarizer, tripod. Processed in LR for the postcard feel.

Robert Amoruso
09-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Processed in LR for the postcard feel.

Is that some kind of setting in LR for this look Bruce? Puffy clouds are nice and interesting graphic quality.

With the slope up and no place to go, the bridge span leads me right out of the image. With both towers, image would have been better balanced. I am not sure the tension caused by the unsupported span outweighs the leading line out of the frame.

Bruce Murden
09-02-2008, 08:42 PM
The major setting that gets me here is the Lomo with Velvia preset, available at http://inside-lightroom.com/colour.php. I attached the image just before using that setting. I've already adjusted WB, exposure, shadows (black clipping), and tone curve. After using the Lomo with Velvia preset, I then did some more color and contrast tweaks, vignettes, and, of course, cropping. The adjustments I made here in this second attachment before the preset already are leaning toward the feel of a small model. The preset amplifies that. Makes it feel like a postcard to me.

This bridge is 5 miles long across the Mackinac Straits between the Lower and Upper Penninsulas of Michigan, and to get the tower as the anchor subject, I needed to give up the rise off the page. Tradeoffs!

Robert Amoruso
09-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Bruce,

Thanks for the follow-up. I see what you mean. Might make a really cool looking long pano. :)