PDA

View Full Version : Rufous is back.

Gus Hallgren
09-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Hi Folks: After the most beautiful summer rains in 18 years, everything is green, Rufous, Costa's & Anna's hummingbirds are eating us out of house & home for the first time this year ~ We love it! . . . Uncle Gus

Olympus E-520, Zuiko 70-300 ED
F/4.5, 1/800s
200 ISO, Auto WB
300mm focal length
Fill flash
C&C's always welcome

Harold Davis
09-01-2008, 04:05 PM
maybe the first time i ever seen the tail feathers like that!! pretty cool. just wished you had a little better head angle. glad you guys got some rain and some birds!! good luck with the little guys!!

Gus Cobos
09-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Uncle Gus,
The head angle police is coming to take you away...:eek::p:D Next time talk to the little guy so he can turn your way...nice colors and soft pleasing background...:cool:

Lance Peters
09-01-2008, 04:52 PM
Uncle Gus - here's some bail money my friend - looks like you are going too need it.

Keep at it :)

Julie Kenward
09-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Gus, no way am I going to slam you for the head angle when the entire bird is that beautiful! I agree - those tail feathers are spectacular! Even better is that gorgeous watercolored BG. It does look like you might need a little noise reduction - especially near the wings as they are the darkest part of the image. Good show overall!

Katie Rupp
09-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Beautiful, Gus!

Lisa Williams
09-01-2008, 11:23 PM
He's a beauty, Gus. Great tail spread on him. Made me go and make my own.

Gus Hallgren
09-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Hi Folk:

Thank you very much for looking and commenting on my Rufous. Thank you Lance for the bail money to the HAP commissioner. You might want to hang 3 balls outside your shop :D for folks needing bail money! Our last Lancaster was "U" Uncle with the 3 balls above "We Take Anything." http://unclegus.150m.com

A good friend of mine, Richard Kowalski, a Astronomer at UA started the HAP thread 2/7/2008 http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7781 and it is very interesting reading, especially the posts about unethical/ethical noises made to get the bird looking at you. Me, the only bird I can get the attention of is a Curve-billed Thrasher, the otherrs I scare away. I do agree that having the correct HA does give you the feeling of connecting with the birds, if it is possible? Though i have found that being motionless and quite seems to attract more birds than not. Amazing how suet, grape jelly and oranges along with bird seed and thistle do a great job in the canyon starting around about the 4500' level.

Best rergards

Uncle Gus

Alfred Forns
09-02-2008, 11:59 AM
HI Gus

Don't get me started with the unethical/ethical noises to get birds looking at you !!!!! Last time I was told that was from the good people at Bosque. We were told that a bird looses so many calories while looking up and it could lead to its death etc At the same time the same people permit hunting "right there".

Lovely bg (stunning) and pose, just the head angle detracts from the image and keeps if from reaching its potential.