PDA

View Full Version : B.B.W.D. (please assist)

Mike Tracy
09-01-2008, 01:48 PM
Mods's please feel free to move to respective forum if it's in appropiate here, I did not know where to post this.

Some things in photoshop I do well and in others I have glaring weaknesses. I never have any trouble if I wish to add canvas with just blue skies but I can't figure how to do it with this particular image with all the various reeds. I feel he needs more room behind him. Please point me to a tutorial or offer insights of your own. Thanks.

MKIII, EF 500@f/5.6, 1/1,000, ISO 400

Doug Brown
09-01-2008, 02:02 PM
Hi Mike. It's hard to tell from your post, but you've got canvas added at the bottom and left of the frame. The bird doesn't feel like it needs more room to me. I cropped a little off the bottom and top. I removed a few of the horizontal reeds. I also adjusted the white point and played around with levels. How do you like it?

Joanna Trescott
09-01-2008, 02:26 PM
I like the reeds -- a little different perspective. The repost really highlights the duck.

Paul Wolf
09-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Here's a quick and dirty version. I added a bit to the left and did what Doug did with levels and curves. The cloning could be cleaned up a bit more. I agree with Joanna on the reeds, so I wouldn't add the sky.

As far methodology, here's basically the way I did it. I started cloning the obvious diagonal reeds by choosing a source point and then cloning up at an angle. I then filled in either by choosing some points close by or by going all the way across the photo to an area I thought might blend well. Then it is just a matter of cloning out the cloned artiffacts, i.e. those areas that look like obvious copies. Then I added a little blur at about 5 or 6% to the cloned areas to help blending. Like I said, it could use a bit more work, but I think you get the idea.

Others might be able to do better, but see if this helps.

Paul

Arthur Morris
09-03-2008, 10:21 AM
Wonderful image and and it is fine posted right here. Both re-posters did an excellent job of adding canvas and reeds without being obvious (but Paul's repost is too contrasty). Often simply creating or opening and saving a JPEG can make an image darker and/or increase contast.

In addition, I love the wing position and the BKGR. And the drops of water. The face and head should be selectively sharpened a bit.