PDA

View Full Version : Complicated Blooms

Amy DeStefanis
08-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Maybe I need to plant simpler flowers..... This was a surprise blooming under some other other gingers. I have no idea what it is.

It has some interesting features that can only be appreciated by taking them in separately. Here's the whole ball of wax. Like my Siam Tulip, maybe there's just too much going on to know what to look at, but that's what fascinates me.

Amy D.

ISO 400
60mm macro
1/60 @ f/13
built-in flash

Julie Kenward
08-31-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, I can certainly see why you went with f13! That is one complicated bloom! I like it, though. Very nice composition on your part. It does have a bit of a "flash" look to it...you might try a blending mode or some way of toning that down just a bit more - perhaps changing the hue of the yellow? It's certainly nice as is but I always prefer when the flowers don't look "flashed." Just my humble opinion...

Amy DeStefanis
08-31-2008, 07:34 PM
Jules, your wish is my command.

Here's a version with no flash. I was playing with long exposures and natural light, but I just wasn't getting the sharpness I wanted, and it really seemed to be getting over saturated. The color is actually quite accurate (at least on my monitor). I just realized that I exported the ORIG in AdobeRGB rather than sRGB.

Stats on Repost:

ISO 400
60mm Macro
f/36
3 seconds

Julie Kenward
08-31-2008, 08:07 PM
Amy, I really like the second one much better. The yellows look so much "truer" and that always makes for a better image in my mind!

Ed Vatza
09-01-2008, 08:09 PM
I know what you are saying here, Amy. There are a couple of flowers that I haven't been able to get a good image of because they are just so darn busy. Goldenrod is one, for example. That said, this is a busy flower but the repost does handle it much better.

Mike Moats
09-02-2008, 08:02 PM
Hey Amy, nice image and I like the second better, it has a nice mood with out the flash.