PDA

View Full Version : Red Bellied Woodpeckers

Rod Wiley
08-31-2008, 05:40 PM
This image of the male Red Bellied Woodpecker and chick was created in Bonita Springs.

Nikon D2X
200-400 vr
F 8 1/250

www.rjwileyphoto.com (http://www.rjwileyphoto.com)
www.adayintheswamp.com (http://www.adayintheswamp.com)

Brutus Ostling
08-31-2008, 05:47 PM
Good capture of a very interesting subjec, food delievery - that's always very nice.There is something with the light, especially on the tree and the chick, which is a little bit disturbing. The adult have a more natural light. It might be my bad screen on the laptop too.

Keith Carver
08-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Love the image of mama bringing food to chick, nice moment captured. Illumination seems too harsh, colors too saturated with an overall reddish cast. Did you use a flash? Thanks for the post.

Tony Whitehead
08-31-2008, 06:56 PM
Great moment well captured, Rod. Lovely light on the adult. The striations in the BG are a bit disturbing. I would be tempted to burn in the tree trunk a little to focus in on the chick and probably sharpen the birds a bit more. I would clone out the second highlight ion the chick's eye. Have had a little play and also patched out the flash shadow behind the chick - see what you think. I may be barking up the wrong tree:D

Rod Wiley
08-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Looks pretty good, its been along time since I took this and I really don't remember all the conditions, I think I used the Better Beemer and part of the tree was a little darker because of the palm branches, I believe the two catch lights were from the flash and the sun. I was cleaning out some files today and saw it so I thought I put it up because I haven't posted in awhile. I came down with pneumonia in my right lung and haven't been shooting in a month.Thanks Rod

Tony Whitehead
08-31-2008, 08:24 PM
Here's to a speedy recovery to full strength, Rod.

Alfred Forns
08-31-2008, 08:51 PM
Great comments Can add I would like seeing a little more room at the bottom for the virtual tail !!! Excellent behavior !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
08-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Great moment captured. I agree regarding a wider crop, removal of the second catchlight and stripes in the BG. How did you sharpen the image?

All the best for a speedy recovery!

Doug Brown
09-01-2008, 12:05 AM
Feel better Rod! Tony's repost does a nice job of addressing most of my concerns with this great behavior shot. Thanks for posting!

Rod Wiley
09-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Axel I use a layer mask and selective sharpening