PDA

View Full Version : Female Capercaillie

beykirch
08-31-2008, 10:12 AM
http://www.seehase-beykirch.homepage.t-online.de/Auerhuhn.jpg

We spend the weekend in Nationalpark Bayerischer Wald in the southeast corner of Germany for hiking and especially testing my new 400DO I have got last week. The weather wasn’t easy, because it was quite cloudy and I needed high ISO / slow speed in the forest.

That one of a female capercaillie was taken with a Canon EOS 5D, ISO 640, f5.6 and 1/125 sec with the Canon 4.0/400DO.
<O:p</O:p
I find the lens very sharp (fully on par with the 4.0/500L and the 2.0/135L) and very easy to handle. The result was a good amount of keepers, only limited by subject movement due to slow speed of down to 1/60 sec.
Regards
Bernd

carole wiley
09-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Bernd,

I would like more room at hte bottom for the tail and a better head turn. The tree on the left is distracting. You have wonderful detail in the birds feathers, looks like a killer lens.

Lana Hays
09-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Hans
Very sharp and nice detail on the bird. I think this one would have worked well with a vertical. It would have given more room on the top and bottom, given a nice touch of habitat and yet eliminated the tree. It's always good to try both verticals and horizontals....if the birds cooperate.

beykirch
09-02-2008, 01:48 AM
Thanks Carol and Lana,

ok, over the coming weekend, I will post the vertical version - yes, I have both ;-)

On the first look, I wasn't quite sure, which one I liked better. Now, it is the vertical one.

Regards

Bernd

John Chardine
09-02-2008, 05:52 AM
Great bird! Agree with all previous comments about room around bird. Do you have one with a better head angle? The bird is facing away from you to the left so you want the head rotated counterclockwise so that the it is slightly turned towards you rather than away.

Maxis Gamez
09-02-2008, 06:32 PM
What a cool looking bird. I wish for more room on the bottom but I like the natural habitat. Head angle mentioned!