PDA

View Full Version : Junior Grasshopper

Aristotle Georgiou
08-31-2008, 08:01 AM
Hi to all,

I couldn't help myself I had to go out this morning after the rain, to see what interesting macro work I could find.
Their isn't much that flowers in my local park, so I looked for anything small with four or more legs and then I came across this six legged critter. The composition is not what I was hoping, but you know what it's like working with children:)

All comments and help is much appreciated.

D200
150mm f/2.8
1/160's
f/20
ISO 400
SB-800

Robert O'Toole
08-31-2008, 01:49 PM
Great comp, and framing and the DOF looks great. Very nice work. I know how hard it is to shoot these guys as they usually dont sit still for long!

The only killer for me, and this is a really basic personal preference, is the image BG makes the image appear to have been made at night. A black BG makes the subject standout but it does not look realistic to me, unless it was taken at night. :)

Robert

Joanna Trescott
08-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Nice clean image. Great composition. I love it!

Julie Kenward
08-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Another nice bug image! I love the composition but the tiny hot spots on the leaf is a little distracting to me. Did you use flash? It doesn't say so in your stats but it really looks like it. Other than that, I love the image.

Aristotle Georgiou
09-01-2008, 04:44 AM
Thanks for all your comments and help with improvements.
Yes Jules, I did use a flash, a Nikon SB-800 speedlight. I wish I had more time with this little critter so I could lessen the intensity of the flash, practice will make perfect I guess.

Cheers,
Ari

Mike Moats
09-02-2008, 08:07 PM
Hey Ari, I think you did a great job, getting this all in focus, I'm starting to think more like Robert on these BG's and only wished it could have had a daylight BG. Still well done.