f8
1/320s
100-400 @ 400

PP with S/H, some saturation and background blur
C & C welcome
Thanks

Alfred Forns
08-30-2008, 04:19 PM
Big Welcome Jackie !!! A treat seeing your first post !!!

Lot of good things here I like the base exposure producing good shadow detail and also detail in the white wing patch. Excellent pose and very sharp. Wish the one branch was not intersecting the bird's bill, sometimes they will hold the position long enough for you to move left/right. I like the clean bg with it pleasing color and might clone out the two smaller sticks. Would also suggest cloning the one bright leaf on the bottom right.

Another good point is the careful placement with more room in front of beak than behind the tail. Get a very well done on your first one and looking forward to many more !!!! btw PS work looks good. With the specs also list the exp comp.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Thank You for the constructive criticism. It was all very positive and I hope to learn a lot from joining the forum.
The exposure comp was zero, in AV Mode.
Jackie

Gus Cobos
08-30-2008, 04:26 PM
Hi Jackie,
A very big welcome to ur BPN family;
You sre off to a good start with this image. There are several factors that need to be addressed. They are as follows: Try to capture your birds with out any obstructions such as branches, leaves etc...that might cover parts of your subject. Your blacks are just a tad under exposed on the bottom part of the belly; this is why you are lacking some details. The head angle could use a little more rotation towards you. I modified your image to enhance it just a little. I cloned out some of the branches and twigs that were touching your bird...see if you like it...:cool::)

Jackie Schuknecht
08-30-2008, 04:35 PM
I like what you have done to the image. How did you bring out more detail in the blacks? S/H, levels, or curves. I like seeing more of the feathers in the image. Thanks.

Katie Rupp
08-30-2008, 04:42 PM
Welcome, Jackie! Very nice first post, I am still waiting for a chance at a RWBB as they are one of my favorites. Alfred and Gus covered the good advice and I'll add a compliment for the beautiful green BG (background).

Jackie Schuknecht
08-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Thank You, and I have been admiring your posts.

Julie Kenward
08-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Very nice, Jackie! My one little suggestion would be to tone down that white hot leaf towards the bottom right corner - it keeps pulling my eyes away from that gorgeous bird. Other than that...it's really quite lovely. Great job on bringing out the detail in the black feathers.

Lance Peters
08-31-2008, 03:54 AM
Hi Jackie - welcome and nice first post. all good advice above covers everything for me.
:)

Oscar Zangroniz
08-31-2008, 12:09 PM
Welcome Jackie. Excellent first post. I like your image as presented. Excellent details.
Congrats,