PDA

View Full Version : Brewing Storm

Mike Fuhr
08-30-2008, 02:25 PM
I took this picture early one morning just outside Sedona, Arizona. A really beautiful place to take pictures. I really should have taken multiple pictures and stiched them together...

I really like the rich tones of this picture.

Nikon D50
18-55mm
32mm
F/10
1/250
ISO 200

Robert Amoruso
08-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Mike,

Though more frames could have been impressive, I like what you did here compositionally with the BG mountains and framing the cloud. IF it was possible physically and w/o messing up the cloud framing, it would have improved the image to move left and get the OOF FG in-shadow trees out of the image.

I reposted a version where I did a Curves Adjustment and a mild reverse s-curve to tone down contrast. I then did a Levels correction to lighten the image, Selective Color adjustment and added black to the Black (8), Neutral (4) and White (2) channels (amount added), and them a Saturation adjustment layer to increase saturation. All this helps to open up the shadows and lower contrast.

Mike Fuhr
08-30-2008, 04:35 PM
Wow it looks great. I had nowhere to go to my left except down about 60 feet! :(

The adjustments you made -- were those all in photoshop? Thanks,

Mike

Maxis Gamez
08-31-2008, 12:40 PM
Gorgeous, I have to get my bottom out there one of these days!

Robert's re-post works much better. However, this is a great composition and light!

Dave Mills
08-31-2008, 04:18 PM
I happen to like the original posts lighting. The color is richer and tells you its early light. Even though there isn't a little pink in the clouds they are better defined in the original. All I would do is bring up the green area on the bottom somewhat. Nice image..

Robert Amoruso
09-02-2008, 07:33 PM
I happen to like the original posts lighting. The color is richer and tells you its early light. Even though there isn't a little pink in the clouds they are better defined in the original. All I would do is bring up the green area on the bottom somewhat. Nice image..

It became a bit flat so some local contrast enhancement (USM - BG Copy - at 50/20/0 as a starting point) may help.

Robert Amoruso
09-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Wow it looks great. I had nowhere to go to my left except down about 60 feet! :(

The adjustments you made -- were those all in photoshop? Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

PSCS3 is what I use.

Your supposed to use your gravity boots. :)

Really though, the movement comments are not always possible in the real world in which case you did real well.

Mike Fuhr
09-03-2008, 12:15 AM
I could have gone up instead, but that posed similar problems. I'm saving up for gravity boots once I get a new tripod! :)