PDA

View Full Version : Canon 85mm -- which one?

Gib Robinson
08-30-2008, 01:44 PM
I've been doing some informal testing of Canon's 85mm f/1.8 and 1.2 lenses. It looks to me as if the 1.2 is somewhat sharper but also considerably better at rendering contrast and color. It's also a lot more expensive and lots heavier. Anyone else compared these two and decided on one over the other?

Thanks,

--Gib

Robert O'Toole
08-30-2008, 10:53 PM
I've been doing some informal testing of Canon's 85mm f/1.8 and 1.2 lenses. It looks to me as if the 1.2 is somewhat sharper but also considerably better at rendering contrast and color. It's also a lot more expensive and lots heavier. Anyone else compared these two and decided on one over the other?

Thanks,

--Gib

Gib,

I have had the chance to use both in my commercial photography days and I would go for the F1,8. The F1.2 feels like a gift from the gods and razor sharp from F2.8 on but its also a big and heavy and expensive as you mentioned. I think the F1.2 is better corrected for CAs also.

I usually go with the smaller lighter version since I tend to leave big heavy lenses (other than super telephoto) at home once the new lens honeymoon is over. You can always bring the 1.8 along in your pocket.

Robert