PDA

View Full Version : White-necked Jacobin

Anders Nielsen
08-30-2008, 01:08 PM
First of all to avoid confusion about the signature on the image - this image is my girlfriends - I am just posting it for her. The image was captured by a feeder at Heath River Wildlife Center in Bolivia at the peruvian/bolivian border. There were a lot of hummingbirds and some of them were quite easy to take pictures of. This one on the other hand was very fast and almost never hovered. This was the only usable image any of us got.

I really hope you will take the time to comment and critique this image. Please let us know if something can be done better.

I don't know if the green line in front of the hummingbird is distracting, but I have done the post-processing on this image and as stated at my last post I don't like to manipulate the background so that is why it is still there.

Canon EOS 400D
EF 400mm f/5.6 L USM
1/500, f/5.6, ISO 400, exp. comp. 0

Anders Nielsen - www.pbase.com/a_nielsen (http://www.pbase.com/a_nielsen)

Linda Robbins
08-30-2008, 05:03 PM
Gitte did a pretty good job with exposure here. The belly of White-necked Jacobins is blinding white and the head is very dark which makes for difficult exposures. This image would have been greatly improved by using flash. The neck and face area especially are too shadowed and detail has been lost. Perhaps going to a higher ISO would have provided a more sharpness.

Robert O'Toole
08-30-2008, 10:57 PM
Nice image! I like the colors and the pose and I enjoy a little bit of wing blur now and then with hummers. Good sharpness and exp for the tough situation.

Linda is right about the flash providing more detail.

Shame about the BG since it does look like a piece of lumber. Otherwise I like the image.

Robert

Roman Kurywczak
08-31-2008, 10:01 AM
Hi Anders,
Excellent advice provided above. If you are not against such things.......cleaning up that grey line in the BG would help drastically.