PDA

View Full Version : Bumble Bee on prairie flower

Bruce Enns
08-30-2008, 12:02 PM
Hi all, This image was captured on a short visit to some protected short-grass prairie areas around Saskatoon Saskatchewan.

Comments and critiques are welcome and appreciated as always.

Canon 40D and Sigma 150 Macro, ISO 400 1/800s f/5.6 no EC natural light

Cheers!
Bruce

Gus Cobos
08-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi Bruce,
I like your composition. The colors and details are good. A big plus for having two bees in the same flower. I took the liberty in modifying your image just a tad. I cloned out the small flower bud to the right, that way the main subject gets all the attention. and I trimmed the stem at the bottom; and sprinkled a wee bit of selective sharpening on the bees...hope you like...:cool:

Alfred Forns
08-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Excellent Bruce I like the changes Gus made, sure cleaned up the image. MIght back down the sharpening tad?

For my taste one bee would have been just fine Not really crazy about the second since its looking away but is just taste !!

Bill McCrystyn
08-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Ouch - I liked the original comp and sharpening and would try to nix the small Bee. :o To my eye the smaller flower in the corner added balance.

Robert O'Toole
08-31-2008, 01:52 PM
I like it bruce, the framing, comp and all looks great. BG is a little busy but still looks great to me. Nice and sharp on the important bits!

I would recommend NR on the BG, not the subject just the BG.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
08-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Hi Bruce,
I like your composition. The colors and details are good. A big plus for having two bees in the same flower. I took the liberty in modifying your image just a tad. I cloned out the small flower bud to the right, that way the main subject gets all the attention. and I trimmed the stem at the bottom; and sprinkled a wee bit of selective sharpening on the bees...hope you like...:cool:

Hi Gus,

Your repost idea was great, but you used all the wrong tools. You can see tons of artifacts. The biggest are the repeating patterns and the smoothing. Using APTATS techniques and running NR on the BG first would have made the changes invisible. This is exactly why I developed the techniques on my APTATS CD.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
08-31-2008, 02:09 PM
Okay I spend a few minutes doing some changes to illustrate some proper techniques.

Just basic APTATS techniques to remove the bud and the leaf and to apply NR the BG.

Robert

Robert O'Toole
08-31-2008, 02:16 PM
the original and 2 different techniques in one frame to make the changes easier to compare.

Robert

Bill McCrystyn
08-31-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, I thought while we are all having so much fun with this image I would throw my change in, so I took Robert's fine repost and removed the second Bee. I also knocked down the saturation just a tad.

Alfred Forns
08-31-2008, 05:13 PM
This is it !!!! Combination produces a winner !!!! Love the end result !!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Moats
09-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Bruce, very cool image and we can all learn from the reposts. Thanks, Guys.

Bruce Enns
09-03-2008, 12:39 AM
Thanks very much everyone for your comments and suggestions. I've been away for a few days and didn't realize how much activity this had generated. A great learning opportunity...(BTW, I have your APTATS CD Robert, and your techniques are fabulous..I use them a lot). I thought the lower flower added some balance as well, and find the missing leaf in the reposts makes the stem look unnaturally long, which makes me want to crop it a bit tighter...

Cheers and thanks for looking!
Bruce