PDA

View Full Version : Sunruse at Ram Island #2

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Taken about 20 minutes after sunrise........trying to include the sun but it was starting to get a bit hot.........so flares soon became a problem. Mark3 with the 100-400 and the 1.4 teleconverter set at 200mm mounted on a tripod for 1/80 second at f16 and ISO 200.
As always comments welcomed and appreciated.

Johannes Glännman
08-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Hi Roman...

I dont like pictures on lighthouses so much. I have never done but with pictures like this I have no choice. This was the best lighthousepicture I have ever seen.... Look at the colors, the exposure and the silence... The only thing I see is that it looks like the picture is leaning a bit to the right.. Is that true ?

Cheers // Johannes

Maxis Gamez
08-30-2008, 11:44 AM
Very nice Roman, the composition works well. I have to agree with you about the glare!!

Paul Marcellini
08-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Wow, what a great feel to this. I like it more without the sun, just pano cropping gives it a great mood. Take any earlier that turned out like that or is this all due to the sun peaking out? I just love how the lighthouse come out of nowhere and the water peaks out of the fog here and there. It is great as is, I just noticed when i scrolled down and eliminated the sun that I could appreciate those softer details better.

Douglas Bolt
08-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Beautiful Sunrise!. I like the composition a lot. The placement of the sun and the lighthouse is excellent. I also like the shadow of the lighthouse. Colors are beautiful.

Again, probably not an improvement, but a little different look at the same scene. PP: Soft Light blend layer @ 40% opacity, with Selective Colors added a little black to the red channel to emphasize the lighthouse and -10C, +20M, +20Y, +20B in the Yellow channel to bring out the yellows in the sky without making them too harsh. Also did a little quick (needs a little more work) dodging to enhance the sun rays.

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi All,
Paul.........here's a version from the pano forum........as the sun went behind the clouds; http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=16311
I do prefer that version myself.
Johannes......thanks for the kind words......not sure it is leaning. I did use a hot shoe buuble........but it could be slightly off. i will try small rotations and check.
Maxis........I'm not sure I explained myself well..........part of me liked the glare......my eyes feel like I did when i was standing there.....squinting.........but if you look at the link I gave to Paul........I do prefer that version.....but the su was not out.
Douglas........I did try a version similar to your....I do like it......and if I wasn't comparing.........that is probably the way I would go.......but I felt it took a bit of the fog mood way with the darker blacks.......but either way is fine with me.

Robert Amoruso
08-30-2008, 03:12 PM
I have not looked at the pano version yet but I think I would prefer a less intense sun for this image. Also looks like you have some posterization around the sun.

Harold Davis
08-30-2008, 04:14 PM
the original here is more peaceful than douglas' version. i like this one as equal as the pano. they are both awesome images and i like the peacefulness about them most. did you use the ND grad here?

Roman Kurywczak
08-31-2008, 08:29 AM
the original here is more peaceful than douglas' version. i like this one as equal as the pano. they are both awesome images and i like the peacefulness about them most. did you use the ND grad here?

No filter here Harold. Was exposing for sun..........didn't matter where everything else fell.

D. Robert Franz
08-31-2008, 09:52 AM
Great compostion here. Very warm feel. Love it..