PDA

View Full Version : Before or After RAW

Joanna Trescott
08-29-2008, 09:46 PM
Is it better to up saturation before or after opening the RAW file?

Alfred Forns
08-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Will work either way Joanna I like doing as much as I can before converting but I know that Tim Grey likes to do most of the work after the conversion.

btw will move this post to digital workflow !!!

Maxis Gamez
08-30-2008, 11:43 AM
HI Joanna,

I usually give the image a little "pump" while in RAW and a final push while in Photoshop.

Just my taste!

Robert O'Toole
08-30-2008, 10:34 PM
Is it better to up saturation before or after opening the RAW file?

Hi Joanna,

Your question isnt very clear to me but I think you are referring to in camera or capture Vs. conversion for increasing saturation??

Raw conversion is the way to go (I have to assume you are using ACR (or LR) since they are the most popular).

Try the Vibrance control. It is like a smart saturation control that enhances undersaturated colors automatically.

The HSL panel is even better. This allows you fine control over specific colors, saturation and luminance.

Give these a try! Either way the best plan is not to over do it. Hope this helps.

Robert

Joanna Trescott
08-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Sorry -- I am talking about opening the RAW file in Photoshop 2. I don't know what ACR and LR are. Should I up the saturation when opening the file or do it while doing adjustments after the file has been opened?

Maxis Gamez
08-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Sorry -- I don't know what ACR and LR are.

ACR= Photoshop Camera Raw
LR= Lightroom

FYI.

Thanks!

Doug West
08-31-2008, 09:14 PM
I'm another who will do a little of my saturation work in Raw (I use Bibble). Then
in Photoshop, give it a little more, if it needs it.

Just don't go overboard with the saturation, which is what quite a few people do.

Doug

Dave Phillips
08-31-2008, 09:29 PM
Joanna, it's a good idea to have noise reduction somewhat under control if needed before adding too much saturation....IMHO!
So saturation may be applied minimally in the RAW and moreso later after the conversion....and likely selectively by area and color

Joanna Trescott
09-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks everyone! That helps alot. I agree, I see lots of oversaturated photos. I read the article on Lightroom in Outdoor Photographer and am excited to purchase and start using it.