PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Bathing

Chris Zink
08-29-2008, 02:56 PM
I was at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge (part of the Chesapeake Bay) and saw this eagle bathing in a canal. It was there dipping its head and washing water over its back for over a half hour.

Most of the people I have spoken to have never seen this behavior by an eagle before. How about any of you?

Chris

John Chardine
08-29-2008, 03:16 PM
I can't answer your question directly Chris, but I can say that many birds that live in salty areas frequently bathe in fresh water. It seems to be part of a regime to keep plumage clean, nicely knitted up and in good condition. Now, is the canal you speak of fresh water??

Chris Zink
08-29-2008, 05:27 PM
It was brackish water, as is the rest of the Chesapeake Bay, which is an estuary. The water that the eagle was in might have had a bit more rainwater in it because it was offset a bit from the bay, but that would just be a guess.

Mike Tracy
08-31-2008, 07:44 PM
There is a mated pair that winter here in Orlando that I have observed doing this. I figured (in my own mind) that it might be their way to rid themselves of parasites.

William Currie
09-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Hi chris if u go to fredmiranda.com there is a fella there that has many phot/s of eagles bathing them selfs he has made a book of this behavior his name is tony and his handle is image master really neat stuff