PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Sunset

Anders Nielsen
08-29-2008, 02:52 PM
One of the most beautiful sunsets can be found at Sandoval Lake in SE-Peru. As I usually don't do landscapes I was stuck with my 500mm. I actually like the narrow FOV but I really would like to hear what people think about doing "landscapes" with a long telelens - does it work for you?

Canon EOS 400D
EF 500mm f/4 L IS USM

Ed Cordes
08-29-2008, 09:15 PM
Nice image. RE using the 500 - I don't think the lens used is as important as the image that results. If the compressed perspective and small angle of view are used creatively then it is the correct lens to use.

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Hi Anders,
I think using a long lens for landscapes is fine.........but just as you would in photgraphing animals or birds........isolation and simplicity are key. I think you have achieved it here. I may be tempted to remove a bit of the black base to just above your signature.........but the palm fronds make a nice line and silhouette. I would recommend that next time you are out with the long lens...........try isolating a lone palm against such a beautiful sky (like the one on the right but with more trunk).....and even explore verticle comps. Not the most dramatic landscape..........but well composed with the tools you were using.

Anders Nielsen
08-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks a lot for the comments - I will think about those suggestions the next time.

Anders Nielsen

Paul Marcellini
08-30-2008, 12:00 PM
good suggestions, I prefer the right and left side of the silhouette, as the middle is blocked up and not very interesting. Definitely an alternative way to shoot landscapes, on I ofter forget to try out.

Robert Amoruso
08-30-2008, 03:32 PM
Roman and Paul has a good point on the right and left trees being the most interesting and even going more on them along would have been good compositions too.

I use long lens all the time including my 600mm for landscapes. You biggest problem is Depth of Field as if decreases as the focal length increases so you have to pick you compositions well and control that DoF.