PDA

View Full Version : Hottentot Teal

John Deakin
08-29-2008, 08:41 AM
OK, so its not in flight, sorry folks, if only.......... :) I will keep trying though.

I have tried on many occasions to capture the Hottentot Teal and always had a problem with getting detail in good light. Yesterday I was sat in reeds, (wish I could have got lower :( ), and captured this image which is the best I have to date of this beautiful Teal in decent water. Your comments are very welcome and appreciated.

Captured with :-

D3
500 VR
F9
Matrix
1/400
ISO 640
Aperture priority
Wimberey on tripod
Minor crop and PP

John

Joe Senzatimore
08-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Nice light and detail. A lower angle would work very well but still an opportunity not to be passed up.

Fabs Forns
08-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Of course a lower angle, although we would loose the gorgeous silver water behind him, It's all a trade off, isn't it?

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-29-2008, 10:34 AM
This is a first for me John. Beautiful bird with excellent detail and eye contact.. The ripples in the water add a great deal to this image . Thanks for sharing.

Mitchell Krog
08-29-2008, 01:43 PM
John, that water is incredible, mercury in appearance and lets not forget the great bird too ;) VWD.

Vincent Grafhorst
08-30-2008, 02:45 AM
Great details on the teal here John, a lower angle would indeed have given this image more impact. The water ripples do add to the shot, but personally I would desaturate the blues/cyans a bit.

Linda Robbins
08-30-2008, 10:00 AM
What a gorgeous duck. The water is simply beautiful. As mentioned, a lower angle would be preferable, but I have to give you credit for the effort of hiding in the reeds! I think a S/H adjustment would bring out even more detail in the dark areas of plumage.

Gus Cobos
08-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I like it as presented John.
I like the colors in the water...good show...:cool:

John Deakin
09-03-2008, 11:02 AM
Thanks very much to you all for your comments and suggestions, appreciated.

Linda, I will look at the S/H and see if I can recover more detail, although my PP skills are quite limited :(, when I have tried in the past I have totally wrecked images, less is more I am advised :)

John