PDA

View Full Version : Fiji Dreams

Keith Carver
08-29-2008, 07:30 AM
While visiting Fiji in June 1975, I used a Canon F1, 50 mm lens, and Kodachrome to capture this image of a beach near Sigatoka on the island of Viti Levu. The coconut trees, beautiful lagoon, scudding horizon clouds, and the scent of wild orchids leave an impression I'll never forget. With pristine beaches like this almost everywhere, the people of Fiji are justifiably proud of their sublimely beautiful land.

I rediscovered this old slide in a shoe box two years ago, scanned it, and liked the B&W image better than color. Have no idea what the exposure settings were. The lighting was harsh and the histogram is awful. But I love this image for the memories it evokes.

Alfred Forns
08-29-2008, 09:10 AM
Ii its a good record image Keith and a magical place. I was amazed at the difference between this scene and the town itself !!!!

Not sure if you have gone back but in the late eighties they made four huge hotels on the beach and the island is very different !!!!

Keith Carver
08-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Oh, my, Alfred, sorry to hear that the developers have put their ugly footprint on Sigatoka. I suppose it was bound to happen. I haven't been back since 1975, and probably will be content to retain just the memory.

Gus Cobos
08-30-2008, 11:27 AM
Very nice image Keith,
It looks like a travel post card. A magical place indeed...:cool:

Harold Davis
08-31-2008, 07:19 PM
looks like it used to be a beautiful place! it still has to be nice even with the development!!

Jason Kinsey
09-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Yes sir, I can see a couple of lounge chairs and cold beverages on that stretch of beach. I like the composition and the sharp foliage silhoutted against the clouds. Nice work.

Robert Amoruso
09-04-2008, 11:03 AM
Always good keeping those images for the memories. Nice work.