PDA

View Full Version : Genus Scytodes in action

Leon Baas
08-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Hello,

I'm leon Baas and this is my first post here.

The visual attraction of spiders and insects fascinates me.
I try to enlarge the drama of their world with self-invented lighting methods and special perspectives.
I taught myself macro-photography by reading old books that are full of tips and tricks,
which are not being used anymore. After years of experimenting,
I built an ideal set of instruments, which gives a special impression to my photos.

I hope I can let you enjoy

Kind Regard,
Leon Baas
http://www.bb-fotografie.nl/

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/4577/fotothumbdg5fy5.jpg

Fabs Forns
08-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey Leon, what a treat to have you here!!!
I think I've seen your work before and always found it fascinating.

About this image, what can I tell you? It is superb, especially the lighting and action. On the compositional, a small suggestion would be to add a little room at the right to take the branch out fo the corner.

Red carpet welcome to BPN and hope to see many more of your fascinating images.

Aristotle Georgiou
08-29-2008, 12:04 PM
Welcome Leon, fantastic capture of these two.

Great light, excellent detail and agree with adding a little more on the right.

Very well done!

Arthur Morris
08-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Welcome Leon. This is a spectacular image as you might well have guessed. The lighting is somewhat surreal and very dramatic. We look forward to seeing lots more great stuff.

Where are you from?

Mike Fuhr
08-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Would you mind sharing a bit more information about this photo -- what camera, a little more about the lighting, etc.? Great shot!

Thanks,

Mike

Kaushik Balakumar
08-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Lovely image. Indeed the lighting makes it unique. Liked the 'translucent light' in the bodies of the spider.
Would be great learning experience for us if you could share some details on lighting techniques you used...

Leon Baas
08-30-2008, 03:00 AM
I made this photo with flashes that I transformed into point light sources by putting glass fiber on the flashes, by which the light can be controlled very precisely. By putting the flashes behind the subject, one gets a nice transparent effect as you can see on the photo. Because the light is shining through their little bodies you can't see that the light is coming from behind; this makes the recording equally lit. Canon 30D, Canon 100mm macro, enlargement 1:1, 1/250s @ f/20, ISO 100, external flash on x contact.

I'm living in the Netherlands Arthur.

Kind Regards,
Leon baas

Francis Bossé
08-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Simply gorgeous! What a great use of light!

Gus Cobos
08-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Fiber optics...very well done Leon...:) Have you tried using black lighting in conjunction with your fiber optics?? It should give it a totally different flair. The composition is great, just move the branch away from the upper right hand side and it should be fine. The details and color rendition is superb...a big congrats...:cool:

Alfred Forns
08-30-2008, 02:14 PM
Outstanding Leon !!! One impressive image !!!!

Julie Kenward
08-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Perfect lighting, Leon. The surreal glow they have is phenomenal!

Leon Baas
09-01-2008, 03:16 AM
Thanks for looking an comments.

Kind regard,
leon Baas