PDA

View Full Version : Brush-tailed possum

John Cooper
01-12-2008, 08:14 PM
This image was taken at night as the possum emerged from its daytime roosting hollow. Normally it would have jumped straight out of the hole to go foraging but the dim torch light with red reflector that I was usinfg to see by was enough to freeze the possum for a minute or two allowing me to fire off too many shots:)
When it finally emerged it ran straight up the tree and peed on the roof of my vehicle:(
Taken from a hide (blind) Canon EOS 10D, Canon 100-400mm lens, ISO100, 1/125 sec at F11. Flash units x 2 - main flash directly above hollow entrance giving back-light penetrating the ears and grazed lighting across the bark showing texture. Fill flash minus 2 stops.

Robert Smith
01-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Neat capture of an inquisitive-looking little critter. Looks like all the preparation that went into this shot paid off. I'm glad he let you actually get a shot after all that prep work.

I like the way the front paws are draped over the cavity entrance. I do wish there were a bit more room on the top & bottom.

Congrats on pulling it off!

D. Robert Franz
01-13-2008, 10:30 AM
I was fortunate to photograph some of these guys on my trip to OZ. Love this image. I just wish it had a little more room all around. Good preperation to achieve this image..... You did well getting the ears illuminated.

Jasper Doest
01-14-2008, 05:49 AM
Lovely capture , your preparation surely paid off. Good thinking with the multiple flash setup. I agree with Robert that a slightly wider view would have been more ideal, but that is a minor thing. While the opossum is very well exposed, the tree looks slightly overflashed...perhaps you could tone the tree down a bit.