PDA

View Full Version : Red-and-green Macaw

Anders Nielsen
08-28-2008, 10:16 AM
This Red-and-green Macaw was found in the peruvian/bolivian rainforest at Heath River Wildlife Center - 6 hours by river from the closest town. The macaws come to a place by the riverbank where some special clay has been exposed (a clay-lick). It is easy to get quite close to them as there is a floating blind in the middle of the river. The hard work is to get a nice and relatively clean background and good light (the macaws usually don't come before 8 or 9 in the morning and the light gets hard around 7.30 or 8). I stayed in the jungle for 29 days and got a lot of pictures but this image is my favourite - these birds are just so incredible.

I know the background could be more clean - but I don't like to clone and blur the background in PS.

Please let me know if you see something else that can be done better - I allways want to improve.

Anders Nielsen - www.pbase.com/a_nielsen (http://www.pbase.com/a_nielsen)

Canon EOS 400D
EF 500mm f/4 L IS USM
1/1000, f/4, ISO 400, exp. comp. 0, Tripod and Manfrotto Gimbalhead

Johannes Glännman
08-28-2008, 10:54 AM
That sounds like an adventure... Tell me when your going next time so you can bring me as luggage :D

The picture looks very nice and I can understand how difficult the light was. When I was in Australia it was never any good light. You had to choose from very very dark black to very very hard and bright light..... I think you did very good with the light and exposure. The background is a bit distracting but it is the djungle and now you can see it. I think it is nice in a way..

Cheers // Johannes

Daniel Cadieux
08-28-2008, 11:19 AM
I know the background could be more clean - but I don't like to clone and blur the background in PS.

Please let me know if you see something else that can be done better - I allways want to improve.

Canon EOS 400D
EF 500mm f/4 L IS USM
1/1000, f/4, ISO 400, exp. comp. 0, Tripod and Manfrotto Gimbalhead

Anders, one should not shun the tools at our disposal! Is this because of the learning curve implied, or because of your personal ethics? You could still clean up some of the spots such as the yellow one in front of the head and the blue one at the tip of the tail, and also tone down some of the brighter branches. You would still retain the look of habitat, less the main distractions - sounds like a winning formaula, no?:)

I do like your image. The Macaw is nicely frozen in time, and quite sharp. Sounds like you had lots of fun out there!

Stephen Stephen
08-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Anders thank you for sharing your image and your adventure with us. It must have been very special to have been there in person. I personally like the upswept wings and the overall pose of the bird. While I might have wished for some softening of the BG you've stated your preference.

I am viewing this image on my uncalibrated work monitor, so I could be wrong, but the bill looks a little warm. I'd still be excited to have this in my collection.

Ramon M. Casares
08-28-2008, 11:23 AM
It is one of my freams to go to that place, I love thhese birds and I think they are great photography subjects, not easy ones, but still great, love the shot, and the BG is indeed a bit bussy but I love it still, the wing position, the color, the profile, the details, the light, all good! Congratulations!

Doug Brown
08-28-2008, 11:31 AM
It's a great photo of a macaw Anders, and I like the story that accompanies it. Daniel brings up some good points, but I guess it does boil down to ethics. I for one don't have a problem toning down backgrounds. I like to convey a sense of BG but I don't want it to distract. I understand that other photographers feel differently, and that's OK too. I would tone down this BG a bit. Thanks for posting!

Arthur Morris
08-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Hi Anders, I am fine with you liking the background as it. It is what it was, but I do agree with Daniel but only when I work on my images <smile>

The bird is quite lovely--sharp with not over-SAT-ed reds and a nice wing position. Please confirm that you are NOT the Anders who was in Iceland with me.

Also, how when were you there and how hot was it???

Anders Nielsen
08-29-2008, 06:50 AM
Thanks a lot for all the comments.

Artie: No, I have never been in Iceland so it can not have been me. I was in the jungle from july 15th to august 14th this year. It was quite hot I guess between 30 and 35 degrees celcius in the day. This really is a great place but because of errosion the clay-lick will be inaccesable in 1 or 2 years as it will then be in the peruvian national park instead of at the peruvian/bolivian border.

If anybody want any information on this place my email can be found at my homepage - I will be happy to help with any question as I have been in the area twice for 3+4 weeks and can give some reccomendations about where to go.

Arthur Morris
08-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Thanks for all of the info Anders.

Mitchell Krog
08-29-2008, 01:48 PM
So fantastic to see this bird in free flight, very well done on capturing this.