PDA

View Full Version : Stellwagen - Hand of Man

Stephen Keene (Plumviewer)
08-26-2008, 11:40 PM
My first trip to Stellwagen with the 1D3. EF 70-20 f/2.8 USM (non IS). ISO 400 allowed 1/1600 # f/8. As humpback surface activity can be all over the lot and with little to no warning I elected to control AF with the "ring of fire." It did not let me down.

Robert Amoruso
08-27-2008, 11:34 AM
Stephen,

The focus on the whale is dead on and you got the tail in a good position. Your light was relatively soft so no hot spots on the tail or water. I think this image could have worked better if it was either a study of the person photographing the whale where that person is relatively in focus and more prominent in the frame (probably not possible given the positions of the person and whale or of the whale tail only. As presented I feel that OOF person's hand, arm, etc. is intrusive and a distraction.

Roman Kurywczak
08-27-2008, 12:57 PM
Hi Stephen,
i think Robert's comments are right on........both about your exposure and the persons hand. If you are not against such things........doing a rotation and cropping to eliminate most of the arm with then a bit of digital clean up........would IMO strenghten the comp considerably.

Stephen Keene (Plumviewer)
08-27-2008, 06:07 PM
"Right on" is a popular critique invoking another critique. Both of you are right on. Having spent considerable time going from port to starboard and back to grab frames and never being able to beat the youngsters to the correct side - the hand of man idea caught my whimsey. I am aware of the lighting situation in this frame. Most of the trip was in considerably brighter conditions and the whales were generous in affording me generous views of water cascading from their tails. I'll post some soon. Thanks for your comments.

D. Robert Franz
08-29-2008, 08:25 AM
Not crazy about the arm either. The rotation is covered above..

Sabyasachi Patra
08-29-2008, 11:44 AM
Hi Stephen,

I too feel that the hand distracts. Look forward to your other images from the series