PDA

View Full Version : Smoky Mtn. Sunset

ChasMcRae
08-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Sunset after a short rain resulting in lifting fog and low sun light.
Scanned from slide and shot with Nikon film camera and 80-200mm zoom probably at 200mm.

Chas.

Robert Amoruso
08-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Good looking image Chas.

Good positioning of the slopes and the valley to add layering thereby depth to the image. The fog also enhances the depth. As the sky was not to exciting you limited that just right. And the color of the sunset completes this handsome looking image. Good looking scan too. Nice work.

Out of curiosity I tried a pano crop (cropped from bottom) and it look good - just another option for this image.

Valerio Tarone
08-27-2008, 11:31 AM
Sunset after a short rain resulting in lifting fog and low sun light.
Scanned from slide and shot with Nikon film camera and 80-200mm zoom probably at 200mm.

Chas.

i agree with Robert, I like very much the image, well balanced.

David Kennedy
08-27-2008, 11:32 AM
I don't suppose this was photographed at one of the last turn-offs on the Tennessee side of the 441? I feel like I have an image--totally different time of day and mood--from the very same location.

The one concern I do have is with the upper left-hand corner. Part of me feels that the left edge should be where the slope touches the top edge. I've attached a version of the image to demonstrate what I'm talking about. It's difficult for me to explain, especially because I like some of the other things happening in that space on the left, but the corner just feels a bit awkward.

Roman Kurywczak
08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi Chas,
I do like the mood and feel of all the layers you captured and agree with Robert about exploring a crop off the bottom. I looked at 2 using a "broser crop" (scrolling until you get the image towards bottom of screen)........I found i liked 2......one from the bottom in the middle of your signature........and one just above it. Just other possibilities for you as I also like the original.

ChasMcRae
08-27-2008, 11:51 PM
I can agree with crop off the bottom ,but I personally like the full left side. Hey its always interesting to see how people think.
This is at a famous pull off facing Morton's Gap. I shot before it was made famous by John Shaw. Still a great place for shots and weather and light dictate the photograph. Not a whole lot of places I can predict the possibility of a great photograph.

Chas.

David Kennedy
08-28-2008, 12:01 AM
This is at a famous pull off facing Morton's Gap. I shot before it was made famous by John Shaw. ...

That's exactly where I thought it was from, but I couldn't think of the name of it. Way cool :)

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2008, 07:46 AM
David,

I like that crop. I was looking at that side too and felt something needed to be done but got wrapped up in the bottom crop. Never thought to crop left too.

Joanna Trescott
08-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Beautiful shot -- I agree in David that the mt. looks cut off. Think it would be even more dramatic with a little cropping. This has a wonderful moodiness to it.

ChasMcRae
08-28-2008, 01:35 PM
I guess what bothers me about the left crop is that it amputates two fluffy clouds that are included as whole in the original.

I have printed this before and if I print it again plan to do the bottom crop and also the left crop to see how they look in print.

A lot of ideas on this image and thanks.

Chas.