PDA

View Full Version : Inland Thornbill

Dean Ingwersen
08-26-2008, 07:19 PM
Hi all,

This image was made a couple of weeks ago on a trip to Western Australia. I really wanted to make an image of this species where the background complements the colour in the birds rump...I'm pretty happy with the result. Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Dean

Canon 20D, 500mm IS L with 1.4x TC, f/5.6, ISO 200, 1/640 sec, AV @ 0.
PS CS2 - very slight crop, sh-h, levels, curves, slight sat, usm.

Arthur Morris
08-26-2008, 07:33 PM
I'd be way-happy if I were you. Love the bird, the BKGR, the tail-pose, and with your perfect crop, even the relatively large perch works perfectly! Way to go.

later and love, artie

Cheryl Ertelt
08-26-2008, 08:29 PM
Very nice portrait and I really like the BG color. Nice comp with the diagonal branch. i do wish there was a bit more DOF.

Fabs Forns
08-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Very nice as presented, The vertical vignette, natural or added keeps your eye in. Good job!

Raymond Barlow
08-27-2008, 01:39 AM
very pretty shot, nice looking bird from down under.

Simon Bennett
08-27-2008, 02:38 AM
I particularly like the typical pose, eye contact and wondeful ochre tones of the WA background.

Linda Robbins
08-27-2008, 04:28 AM
You certainly succeeded...the BG is lovely. Great pose, sharpness and perch. Nice capture. I am getting very jealous of all the wonderful species you have in Australia. I need to make a trip there!

Vincent Grafhorst
08-27-2008, 12:39 PM
Very nice Dean, love the bird, love the BG. A bit more DOF would have been nice here though.

Dean Ingwersen
08-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks for all the comments...much appreciated.

Tony Kirkby
08-27-2008, 09:11 PM
Hi Dean

I haven't been on the forums for a few days and missed this one. Superb image, what was the background?

Tony

Dean Ingwersen
08-27-2008, 10:25 PM
G'day Tony,

It was a mallet trunk (I'm pretty sure that's what it was anyway!). I forgot to mention in the original post that this image was created at Dryandra State Forest, about 2 hours south-east of Perth, WA...sorry!

Thanks for your help again.

Cheers, Dean

Mitchell Krog
08-29-2008, 01:50 PM
This is superb, very well done here.

Arthur Morris
08-29-2008, 02:01 PM
This is superb, very well done here.

Hi Mitchell, We appreciate your participation here at BPN. When you post to an image that you really like, please take an extra few moments to let us know why you like the image. That way everyone can learn something from every comment.

There is more on this in the Sticky at the top of the Avian Free & Wild Forum here: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10228

Thanks!

Mitchell Krog
08-29-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks Arthur and for sure I will be more specific from now on.

As for this image, I love the simplicity of it, while I love photographing birds in flight I get even more enjoyment photographing the smaller often overlooked garden birds (I assume this is a garden bird). I love the out of focus background and the colour of it which just shows this little guy off so well, the perch is also very nice and all the colours complement each other so well. This bird is very similar in appearance to the Black chested Prinia which frequents my garden, I'll try and post a shot of him soon.

PS - I hope you get used to me spelling the word colour and not color, just the way we spell it here :)

Cheers

Gus Cobos
08-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Excellent Dean.
I like the composition, image and capture. You have great details, good eye contact and the color rendition is superb. The perch works well here. Good show...looking foward to your next one...:cool: