PDA

View Full Version : RRS L bracket for D3

George DeCamp
01-12-2008, 05:37 PM
I received the RRS (Really Right Stuff) L bracket for the D3 a couple day a ago and just tried it on today. I ordered this at the beginning of December and it took a month to get, I read they were swamped with orders.

The bracket in my opinion is the worst bracket I have ever ordered from them (D100, D2x, lens plates, etc). The 2 doors above the battery really can't be accessed easily without a tool of some kind to pry the door open (bracket too cramped). The bracket itself protrudes too far in front of the camera and feels horrible in my hands as opposed to the D2x L plate which is perfect. They did not round the stock but instead cut it in a square shape, see here (not my images but another user with the same complaint);

http://www.pbase.com/ibbo/image/91435594

http://www.pbase.com/ibbo/image/91435595

D3 plate is on top.

Sheesh, and I waited a month....I e-mailed them to return it. :(

Fabs Forns
01-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks, George, saved me the trouble ;)

Alfred Forns
01-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Big Thanks George I was going to order one !!!!!!!!!!!

George DeCamp
01-12-2008, 07:53 PM
I think I would wait on these if you guys can. My hope is they will change them and Kirk is about to release theirs.

Larry Daniel
01-12-2008, 07:56 PM
The Kirk for the D300 feels fine. I will try to let you know about the D3 Kirk when it arrives, hopefully soon.

Jim Poor
01-12-2008, 08:33 PM
Uh oh, I just ordered one. :(

Mike Gallo
02-04-2008, 05:17 PM
I just received my Kirk L Bracket for the D3 and its fine.

Jim Fenton
02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I used to swear by RRS brackets but since the D2 series, RRS has really gone down hill in my opinion.

The Kirk L bracket which I purchased for my D300 is just perfect....pretty much what I used to expect from RRS.

Jim Poor
02-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Well, I got my RRS L-bracket and have to say that I'm not nearly as disappointed as I thought I would be. Don't get me wrong, the thing doesn't even come close to fitting as well as the one for the D2X.

I've had it on for a couple weeks now, and I don't notice the difference in contour because I never have a hand on the left side of the camera. It is always on or under a lens or some such. I don't open the doors on the left side either so that's not a problem.

Of interesting note is that the bracket fits the D-300 with battery grip just as well as it fits the D3. Of course that could be considered either good or bad depending on how you look at it.

The fit isn't great, but it does the job.

My BIG complaint is that I ordered it when the site said "now shipping," and I went for expedited shipping. Well, a month later I finally got it. I did notice on the invoice that I wasn't charged for the shipping upgrade though.