PDA

View Full Version : Beachy Head Lighthouse

Stephen Stephen
08-26-2008, 11:55 AM
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Landscapes/BeachyHeadLight.jpg

Canon 40D with 18-55mm "kit" lens at 50mm. ISO 400, F8, 1/3200 - Full frame image. Perhaps I should have cropped a bit off the top?

I created this image last month while in Sussex County, England. Beachy Head is just east of the "Seven Sisters" cliffs from my last landscape post. I found it somewhat odd to see the lighthouse at the bottom of the cliff but it was impressive when I saw it after reaching the cliff edge for the first time.

I like how the receding tide and some of the beach rocks seem to run towards the lighthouse itself.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Lovely image. May be a wee bit of cropping from top would help. But that's just a matter of personal taste.

Robert Amoruso
08-27-2008, 07:11 AM
Stephen,

I like this perspective a lot. Composition is well thought out and I agree the tidal wash and rocks lead right to the lighthouse. I agree with Kaushik on a crop and felt the image looked a bit flat. I posted a version cropped to RoT with the upper left power point at the base of the lighthouse. I also did a local contrast enhancement on a BG copy using USM at 20/20/0 - vary to taste. Then did a shadow/highlight adjustment to open up shadows that got dark with the USM enhancement.

The red onthe tower got a bit darker them I would have liked but you can mask out the affect the the local contrast enhancement there if you wish.

Roman Kurywczak
08-27-2008, 12:45 PM
Hi Stephen,
This does have a very nice perspective to it. I like Robert's crop placement and would explore the contrast boost he recommends but leave the reds closer to the original shade as he also recommends. Nicely done.

Stephen Stephen
08-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Thank you Kaushik, Robert and Roman. I do like the cropped and re-worked image. It certainly was exciting to be at the cliff edge.

Robert Amoruso
08-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Thank you Kaushik, Robert and Roman. I do like the cropped and re-worked image. It certainly was exciting to be at the cliff edge.

Thanks and again, the perspective is awesome - I always love finding something unexpected at a cliff's edge and you did that here.