PDA

View Full Version : Kew Gardens Lily

Joanna Trescott
08-26-2008, 10:59 AM
I took this shot several years ago with my Canon 10D. ISO 100, F16 @1/90 @ 220mm, -1 EV. I have problems overexposing yellows and reds and tend to underexpose so they aren't blown out. Does the 40D show the red and yellows on the histogram?

Julie Kenward
08-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Joanna, if I remember correctly, it only shows the RGB colors on the histogram so yellow wouldn't be shown. I think Canon is pretty well known for oversaturating reds and I wouldn't be surprised if yellow was the same way. I tend to underexpose most of my images on purpose - I like the idea of lightening far better than I like trying to recover those highlights that get blown!

Although I like this overall image it seems a little flat in tone - there really isn't much in the middle and upper ranges. I think a curves adjustment could help differentiate the darks from the mid and upper tones and may help the image pop a bit more. Even if you left the flower alone, the greens could be fiddled with to brighten/lighten them a bit, putting even more emphasis on the flower. Just a thought...

Nicely composed, BTW.

Joanna Trescott
08-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Thanks, Jules. Here is a repost -- did I go far enough with curves adjustment?

Bruce Murden
08-26-2008, 02:54 PM
Looks to me like you did well with the repost. Lovely light and color in this image, and the flower and leaves are in good shape (early in the season?)

Gus Cobos
08-26-2008, 04:57 PM
Fantastic repost Joanna, I like the colors hues much better...:cool:

Joanna Trescott
08-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Bruce: This was taken in Jume midday inside with filtered light. Thanks Jules for your suggestion. I agree it is much better. I love curves!

Julie Kenward
08-26-2008, 05:52 PM
It really pops now. Isn't curves the best??? When people say they don't know how to use it I want to jump up and down and invite them all to my house for a class! I self taught myself by playing but then learned a few real tricks along the way.

Ed Vatza
08-26-2008, 08:50 PM
Beautiful image, Joanna. And the repost is even better. I love the color and detail of the flower. And the leaves make a beautiful background. Very well done, Joanna.

Mike Moats
08-27-2008, 04:45 AM
Hey Joanna, I really like this image, the comp, colors, details all look great. I didn't mind the look of the first post, but the repost also looks good. Well done.

Aristotle Georgiou
08-27-2008, 06:01 AM
Nicely take, love the comp, great light, good detail, droplets and colours are superb.

Joanna Trescott
08-29-2008, 10:28 AM
Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I agree, it needed a little more pop!