PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbird

Chris Hansen
08-26-2008, 01:27 AM
I played around with the hummers this afternoon. I didn't get real serious and set up any flowers or anything. I was just playing around with some different settings to see what was working. What iIforgot to do was turn on my modeling lights to help with the focusing. Lesson learned as it isn't as sharp as it should be.

Canon 10D
Raw
ISO 100
Canon 100-400 @ 285mm w/ extension tube
Manfrotto tripod and Bogen heavy duty ballhead
Canon shutter release
F8 @ 1/250 sec.
(2) AB 1600 Studio flashes placed at 45 degrees on either side of the feeder up about 1 foot. Flashes set to 1/32 power.
Background is a blue sheet about 15 feet back in ambient light.

Comments appreciated.

God's blessings to all,

chris

Cheryl Flory
08-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Chris, I like your set up, which looks like it will give you good images when you get the rest of the lights on line. What speed do you plan on using then?

I like the lighting in this image. Do you have a photo of the complete setup?

Alfred Forns
08-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Hi Chris Great suggestion by Cheryl Seeing the set up would be helpful For success with these guys its a must !!!!

Gus Cobos
08-26-2008, 11:02 AM
Hi Chris,
I like the concept, and what you were trying to do here. On your next series, try adjusting your ISO between 200-320, even up to 400, and stop down between f/11 - f/16. shutter speed perhaps around 1/1000sec ; if your strobes are powered down to 1/3 lumen burst. you need to try sundry combinations to see which works for you set up. Your on the right track...:cool:

Gus Cobos
08-26-2008, 11:07 AM
P.S. Also would help to meter hand held before any activity takes place, so that you can get a general idea or profile of the ambiant lighting conditions before the shot; this way its much easier to adjust the lighting curve. I don't know if you were using in camera matrix or center weight metering. If you have a hand held meter, use it in conjunction with the one in your camera...looking foward for many more...:cool:

Chris Hansen
08-26-2008, 03:06 PM
Here is a sample of my set up. Gus thanks for the input. I'll give a try and post what I get. I have never shot hummers with that high of an ISO so I look forward to what the results might be.

God's blessings to all,

Chris

Gus Hallgren
08-26-2008, 04:06 PM
Hi Chris:

I like your photo of the Rufous, lovely color and portrays it perfectly.

They are a little late coming here this year, however, I hear that they are now in full force at Mary Joe's place in Ash Canyon, AZ.

I was watching Ralph Paonessa from Ridgecrest, CA giving a Hummingbird clinic in Madera Canyon a couple of years ago, and it was an eye opener. Pictures tell a 1000 words so if you're interested in his electronic primer you can see it at http://www.rpphoto.com/howto/hummer/humguide1.asp . . . I think Ralph is extremely talented, and a hard worker giving his students their money's worth.

Hope to see more of your photos. :)

Uncle Gus

Chris Hansen
08-26-2008, 05:19 PM
Thanks Gus,
I have been looked at Ralphs website a number of times this year.I like how he has it divided up into parts. Step by step. It has helped my hummingbird photos a lot. I'm trying some new things out now just to see how they work. For example this is the closest I have ever placed the flash units to the feeder. Ralph though is indeed a master at it.

God's light to you,

Chris