PDA

View Full Version : Glove or No Glove

John Harper
01-12-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi There

Would like to get some feedback as to whether this shot would look better without the glove or keep it in. I personally feel keep it in as it shows the objects the owls eyes are focussed on but i would be interested to hear other peoples comments on it.

John

Tech Details

EOS 1DMKIIN

EF 500mm F4

ISO 400

1/1600 @ F4

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/barnglove.jpg

Lana Hays
01-12-2008, 06:31 PM
John
I know that a lot of people would be tempted to clone the glove out but I think its fascinating. It is a more interesting story.....a rather complete one than if the glove were absent. This would be a wonderful image for a falconry magazine or advertisement. If I were the keeper of that owl I would be thrilled with the image. I like the composition, great BG, and and the overall action. OK...I'm a sucker for Barn Owls and have only seen one that was a magnificient rehab bird.....what I wouldn't give to see one fly!!!

Anita Rakestraw
01-12-2008, 07:15 PM
I like the glove there, John. As Lana says it tells a whole different story with than without the glove. Consequently, I think it might depend on what purpose the image would be serving in any given instance, whether the glove is part of the image or not. In this particular setting, the presence of the glove makes me want to know more of the story.

Alfred Forns
01-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Another vote for the glove !!!! It does tell a story Do like Anita's point .... the glove would be relevant according to intended use !!!

..... btw sweet image would give a little more room top bottom !!! Congrats !!!!!

Robert Smith
01-12-2008, 09:05 PM
I'd say in this case (especially given the background), that you can have your cake and eat it too... Depending on the intended use, you can have (or not have) the glove as the case may be... I'd keep the glove in my "standard" shot, but since it is so easy to make it go away, that shot could be available as well.

Congrats on a neat shot!

Nonda Surratt
01-13-2008, 07:45 AM
John,

I actually needed to sleep on this one. First off lovely image and I think the glove adds to it, I just don't think the image would have as much power without.

Mike Poe
01-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Agree with the above as intended use. BG does lend favorably to manipulation. In this case if you removed the glove a fence post or branch could be added for the bird's focus .. as always if within your ethics.

John Harper
01-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Another vote for the glove !!!! It does tell a story Do like Anita's point .... the glove would be relevant according to intended use !!!

..... btw sweet image would give a little more room top bottom !!! Congrats !!!!!

Hi Alfred

Thanks for the positive comments, the shot was taken as a portrait but i thought it looked better as a landscape, I have adjusted it based on your comments.... is this any improvement in your opinion.

John

http://www.portviewfitout.co.uk/barnglove2.jpg

John Cooper
01-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Like the landscape format John but love the original Portrait image as it gives more breathing room above and below the owl. A truly great image and surprising you achieved such good DOF at F4
I agree with comments below re glove - you have the best of both worlds!!

Gerald Kelberg
01-23-2008, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone,

Although it is an old(ish) thread, I just read it for the first time and thought I would add my "two pennies" worth with a contrarian point of view.

Congratulations on a fabulous image - wish it was mine!

For me, I would dispense with the glove. Yes, it tells as story; but only one story. Loose the glove and the image can tell any story the viewer wants - glove, fencepost, 16-point stag (well, maybe not!). But the point is that not having the glove means we are leaving something for the imagination of the viewer rather than just spelling it out for them.

Regards,

Gerald

Gus Cobos
03-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Hey John,
I like your composition just the way it is...:D and yes...it does tell the story

CONGRATS...:D:D:D

Gus...:cool: