PDA

View Full Version : Oregon Tide Pool

ChasMcRae
08-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Green Anemone imaged with outgoing tide below water line.
Slide scanned and slightly cropped.

Chas.

Fabs Forns
08-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Amazing! It llos like a human eye!!!!
Only wish the water line was a little higher, but is what is. Very interesting :) thanks for sharing it!

Julie Kenward
08-26-2008, 01:19 PM
Charles, I keep finding my eye moving to the dark spot on the right side. Is there a reason you included that? Is there any way to bring up the detail in this area? If not, I'd vote to crop it out and leave the main subject with it's closer surroundings.

The color of that anemone is so cool!!! Nice capture!

Bruce Murden
08-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Charles, lovely colors here. I do agree that there's too much dark negative space on the right. A tighter crop, keeping the anemone center left, can make it a star of this image (wait, starfish is something else...). Looks like some sights I had at Cape Kiwanda in central OR in May!

Ed Vatza
08-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Have to admit, my fist impression was the same as Fabs. The anemone looks like an eye. I also have to agree about the dead space to the right. But the anemone is really a winner. Very nice.

ChasMcRae
08-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Actually the space on the right documents the "motion" of the tide with streaking detritus creating the effect. To me this signified the underwater image of the anemone below the outgoing tide. To focus strictly on the Anemone loses this effect. Since no one else appreciates this feeling of tide movement ,then I missed my target. Oh well ,you can't win them all. Of course the Anemone had to be underwater to be expanded like it is, but felt like the average observer would not know this.
Appreciate the input and it is always great to see how others view and/or interpret an image.

Chas.

Mike Moats
08-27-2008, 05:23 AM
Hey Chas, great details and color in the anemone, I had a chance to shoot the Oregon tide pools back in May, and it was a very cool experience. It sounds like your dissapointed that know one recognized the movement in the water, but the few tiny white streaks and the fuzzy blue blotches don't offer enough to let the viewers know water is moving. Water movment usually has a soft smooth silky look as you see in a waterfall shots. So I don't think its a lack of appreciation or understanding of tide pools, I think its just a lack of info that there's water movement here. I think the shot works well as is, and I don't mind the dark right side.