PDA

View Full Version : Violet-Bellied Hummingbird

Linda Robbins
08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Canon 500mm f/4 IS lens, 1.4x teleconverter, and a Canon EOS-1D Mark II N mounted on a tripod. ISO 400. Manual mode: 1/250 sec. at f/22.
Six flash set-up. Canopy Tower Lodge, Panama,

This was one of the rarer hummingbirds in the area, and not only was it a very small species, it was not as bold as most of the birds visiting my set-up. I used a 1.4x teleconverter with my 500mm lens so that I could stand back a bit farther from the feeder so that the bird would have the confidence to come in. With shy species, it ihelps to stand very still as you wait.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-25-2008, 09:57 PM
What a beautiful bird, great exposure control, pose and details, too. I might be tempted to make the catchlight a bit smaller.

Ramon M. Casares
08-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I just hope you work goes into a big coffee table book... it is simply beautifull!!!! Big congratulations!!

Bob Blanchard
08-25-2008, 10:22 PM
These hummingbird images you've been posting are SOOOO cool! I love the image, but I agree with Axel that the catchlight looks just a bit too pronounced. I think a bit softer shade of white would touch it right up, though.

Glenda Simmons
08-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Wow another Beauty!...Bird and photographer's image of it. Do you not try to set your set-up to get the bird coming toward you, instead flying horizontally, like this? Or are you saving those beautiful flashing gorget shots for later?

Linda Robbins
08-26-2008, 05:25 AM
Wow another Beauty!...Bird and photographer's image of it. Do you not try to set your set-up to get the bird coming toward you, instead flying horizontally, like this? Or are you saving those beautiful flashing gorget shots for later?

Thanks Glenda!

The iridescent colors of hummingbird plumage light up in photographs when the light strikes that plumage at the right angle. Iridescent plumage appears in different places on the various species. Long-tailed and Violet-tailed Sylphs have gorgeous iridescent long tail feathers, but the iridescense will only light up when photographed from behind. A few species like the tiny Western Emerald have iridescent feathers over their entire bodies, whille others sport iridescent plumage on the belly or the sides of the face. I place my flashes so that I have a good chance of capturing the iridescense no matter where it is on the birds that are visiting my feeder.

Species with iridescent gorgets will light up best when they are facing the camera. To light the gorget on these species, I cover all but one port on the feeder, or use a simple tube feeder. Then I angle the open port or the tube up to 45 degrees toward the back of the set-up. This encourages the birds to face more forward as they approach the feeder and gives me a better chance of lighting the gorget. Best is when a bird must hover facing the camera while awaiting it's turn at the feeder. Using perches at the set-up also allows for great gorget lighting as the birds perch facing forward and as they are landing on the perch facing forward.

I'll post some images with lighted gorgets for you this week!

Glenda Simmons
08-26-2008, 06:21 AM
Thanks for all that wonderful info. I know that it depends on how the light hits the plumage, displaying their iridescendence feathers, but I did not know that it changed that much from different species. Sure pays to know the behavior and the species you are photograhing. Ofcourse in my yard, I don't usually get much of a chance to photograph any other species than the Ruby-throated. I sure look forward to seeing those other Hummer shots and getting info on your new guide.

Mike Lentz
08-26-2008, 08:03 AM
Hello Linda. I think the image is nice and sharp and well lit and all that, but I really think it would look a heck of a lot better if your setup included flowers... these types of images (to me) are just kinda I.D. shots vs artwork IMHO. I hope you understand what I mean.

Raymond Barlow
08-26-2008, 11:25 AM
very nicely done Linda., interesting set up.

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-26-2008, 02:40 PM
Just BEAUTIFUL Linda !!!! The contrasting colors of the BG and the hummingbird are just stunning and your excellent lighting and detail are over the top !!!! Love it.

Arthur Morris
08-26-2008, 03:11 PM
Hi Linda, This is far more than an ID image for me. The level of technical perfection, the great wing position, and the beauty of the bird, all make it a work of art in my eyes.

And having stood next to you for three days in Panama while these guys came on the set for two seconds at a time and I got nothing at all on them makes me appreciate the photo even more.

Juan Carlos Vindas
08-26-2008, 10:10 PM
Outstanding work!
Love the colors, iridescence, BG, well, everything!!!

Pramod Viswanath
08-27-2008, 12:01 PM
Riot of colors! Beautiful action and photograph!

Simon Bennett
08-28-2008, 05:30 AM
Wonderful image - those blues in particular are amazing.

Gus Cobos
08-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Simple, elegant, and perfect. Love the colors and the details. The background makes it pop...:cool: