PDA

View Full Version : Robber Fly

Mike Fuhr
08-25-2008, 08:31 PM
I think this is called a robber fly. I took this at a nature preserve in western Oklahoma about 2 months ago. I really like this picture except for the fact that the clover petals are washed out. Although this fact seems to focus my eyes more on the fly, I still wonder why that happened. Comments and thoughts always appreciated.

Nikon D50
100-300 F4
ISO 200
300 mm
F5.6
1/250

Thanks,

Mike

Fabs Forns
08-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Very neat as presented, with excellent BG. It looks a little centered as presented, with too much space behind the subject. You could either crop the right and add to the left, or crop just the right to make it symmetrical, IMO.

Bruce Murden
08-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Mike, the fly came out great. I like Fabs' ideas on cropping to make this one more dynamic, and you may even rotate the image clockwise a little for more drama, with the fly hanging on. If you have Lightroom and a kept a RAW file, you could try some highlight Recovery to calm those yellows and get some more detail. Clarity may help here too (a smart edge contrast enhancement) to get some more detail, but it may affect the nice looking fly & flower tip.

Mike Fuhr
08-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Here it is with the rotation and slight cropping that you suggested -- I really like the outcome. Maybe a bit more crop on the right side... Thanks for the great ideas.

Mike

Mike Moats
08-27-2008, 05:33 AM
Hey Mike, very cool comp and great job on the repost, it worked very well.