PDA

View Full Version : A Simple Daffodil

Ed Cordes
08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
I made this image a few months ago when Daffodils were in bloom. I find them hard to do due to the required DOF. This image was made indoors with natural light. The BG is the screen of my LCD TV.

40D with 24-105 @ 75 mm. Evaluative metering at ISO 200 with EV -2/3 and f 13 and 1/6 sec on tripod and mirror lock up. Full frame with a bit of levels.

Thanks for looking. All comments most welcome.

Julie Kenward
08-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Daffodils ARE hard to photograph...I've found that to be true as well. You did a beautiful job on this one, though. The color is not overly saturated and the FG and BG are perfect. The only thing I'm bouncing back and forth on is whether those two back partial petals add or detract from the main flower...I just can't make up my mind. They add a nice counter balance to the flower in front but they also seem to small and insignificant to be there. Hmm...anyone else?

Aristotle Georgiou
08-26-2008, 06:16 AM
Great work, like the DOF, beautiful light, excellent detail and nice composition.

Ed Vatza
08-26-2008, 08:15 PM
Excellent dof, Ed. The color is terrific. Thank the light! :) And I love the detail. I do think I would like to see this in a vertical crop though.

Mike Moats
08-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Hey Ed, great job, with this shot, I always find yellows tough to shoot, as the lighting needs to be just right, and I think you did well with the light.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-28-2008, 04:17 AM
Lovely image. The yellows are indeed tough. Here's the light (& correct exposure) has helped in differentiating the petals from each other (borders not getting merged to one-another). Nice details too.