PDA

View Full Version : wildlife photography that sells

Jared Lloyd
08-25-2008, 02:52 PM
So I sit here now at a major cross roads in my life. I have lived my entire life in North Carolina, but am now planning on moving to Jackson Hole Wyoming. Theres a million good reasos (and a million bad reasons) as to why Jackson Hole seems like a key place for me. Ultimately however, the decision was based upon the access that the area would give me to those great American charismatic megafauna that the region is known so well for. At the same time though, I cant help but thinking, " how many other people have this same or similiar idea?" Everytime I have been to Yellowstone or the Tetons, the parks are chocked full of photographers.

So my question is, would moving to this area and devoting the next few years of my life to photographing the wildlife here be like kicking a dead horse? A horse that has been ridden for the last 100 years or so by countless photographers?

Question number two then is obviously: If you could choose anywhere in America to live for its access to wildlife (not just birds), where would you go?

thanks
Jared

Jared Lloyd
08-25-2008, 02:53 PM
yeah, I completely typoed the title

David Smith
08-25-2008, 03:26 PM
Jared:

You are right..
Everyone has been taking pictures of that area for 100 years. But, that can be said of most of the great areas in our country. I feel that, to be successful, you are going to have to find a niche that no other photographer has explored.. A different angle, a diffferent perspective maybe. Nature changes by the minute and you have to be at the right place, at the right time, to catch the image that no one else has.. A well known photographer once told me that a great image is 20% equipment, 20% skill and 60% luck.

This is just my humble opinion..

Dave

Roger Clark
08-25-2008, 09:30 PM
I've encountered a few pro photographers in early morning photo shoots in and around the Teton region. One guy said the problem these days is not getting to the spot for that great sunrise image, it's getting to the spot before the other photographers! That was at least 10 years ago.

I'll ask a different question: are you selling enough to make a living now?

Living in a region allows one the possibility of getting out when the conditions are perfect; something that would be by luck on short trips.

There is always conducting photo tours too.

Roger

Jared Lloyd
08-26-2008, 06:47 AM
I am selling my work, but not enough to make a living from it. On the other hand, I work as a guide. For the last 7 years I have been guiding kayak trips and taking people to see wild horses left over from the conquistadors here on the 4x4 section of the outer banks. I have a job lined up with a company out there where I will be guiding half day and full day trips through the parks to see bear, moose, elk, etc. . . I figured that this was an ideal situation for me out there because it will always place me in the position to know where certain animals have been hanging out.

I'm not going to try and initiate my business plan until I have a years worth of income saved up. After that point, the idea is to take one year off of guiding to devote soley to my photography - living of savings - and see if this is something I can do.

In my mind though, I was just begining to wonder what the salability of that sort of wildlife is now adays. Being from North Carolina, most of my sales include the appalachian mountains, deer, wild horses, and birds - all of which go to smaller more regional magazines. Therefore, I know nothing of that market.

I just read an article in Outdoor Photography not too long ago where the guy was at Maroon Bells when someone asked him to take his tripod leg out of the water because it was messing up the reflection for the other 25 photographers who were there at sunrise shoulder to shoulder with him.

Jared

Michael Lloyd
09-10-2008, 09:16 AM
Catchy last name. I like it. My nephew's name is Jarod (lives in Texas). I have (very) extended family in the Carolina's and Virginia's.

That's a big change to make for the sake of being a Wildlife Photographer. Has it all been done? Most of us here hope not but probably have the nagging little suspicion that it has nestled in our heart somewhere. That said, Galen Rowell didn't let it stop him. Best of luck in whatever you decide.