PDA

View Full Version : Cold Light

Leroy Laverman
08-25-2008, 10:39 AM
This was taken in mid-day hard light. I did the raw conversion and toning in Lighroom with sharpening in Photoshop. I was going for a moonlit kind of look. Does this work at all? It's outside of my normal shooting style so I'm experimenting a bit personally.

Technical Info
Nikon D80
Nikon 50mm 1:1.8
ISO 100 f/1.8 1/1500 sec
matrix metering, no EC, no flash

Julie Kenward
08-25-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm not sure what would help here, Leroy. I certainly understand the look you're going for but, instead of the coolness of moonlight, I think it looks too blue/fake overall. Maybe it's luminosity is off? Or the blue needs to be lightened just a hint? I just can't put my finger on it.

I love the pattern of the image and you got a great deal of detail. I'd keep working on it...I think it will be worth it.

Leroy Laverman
08-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback Julie -
Is this one better?

Julie Kenward
08-25-2008, 02:36 PM
I think it is. Did you change the hue of the blue or simply adjust the saturation? I'm thinking if you opened the saturation and desaturated it just a bit it might make it even more realistic.

Leroy Laverman
08-25-2008, 02:49 PM
I pulled back the saturation on the blue highlights and lowered the luminosity some on the brightest leaves. I also lightened the background a touch to lower the contrast. Here's the original shot . I had borrowed a friends 50mm f/1.8 to try before I purchased one for myself and these were some random snapshots to test the lens out. Then I got to fiddling around in Lightroom and came out with the OP above.

Ed Vatza
08-25-2008, 05:20 PM
I do prefer the repost here, Leroy. The image does look very cold to me though. It definitely has a wintery feel to it.

Gus Cobos
08-25-2008, 06:49 PM
I like the first post Leroy,
I like this cold winter feeling...good show...:cool:

Mike Moats
08-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Hey Leroy, I think I like the first one better, as it has a more artistic and abstract feel. Well done.